Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Speedline alloys

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: Speedline alloys Reply with quote

Folks,

I've got my car quite nice and clean, but any suggestions how I can spruce up the speedline alloys? The lacquer is a bit tatty and there is dirt and corrosion under the flaking parts of the lacquer.

In my naivete, I didn't realise the 'studs' were plastic, but they get in the way of easy restorations. Any suggestions for preferred methods of sprucing them up?

a) Send them to an expert (any recommendations)
b) Get the lacquer off with chemicals
c) Wet and dry paper?
d) Rotary brushes, etc.
e) Paint vs polish?

Cheers
Hugh
johnboy
16 Valve

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedline alloys Reply with quote

Hi Hugh

Nice car chap,
if you wanted them polished it would cost loads and you would be forever cleaning them,as i had the wheels on my hf turbo polished looked good but nonstop cleaning.your best bet would be to strip them with paint stripper,then prime and top coat them.easy job just do one at a time mask the tires up.or if you konw someone who is a shot blaster,get them to strip them then you can paint them. can you guess what i do for a living?
regards john

Alfa gt jtdm blackline
1990 S2 16v veloce sleeping!
2002 ts gtv the wifes now
1997 seadoo gsx 800
1999 freestyle superjet
boxertricks
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi as above - shotblast and new paint best bet; but dont use chemical strippers on the fake splitties as it eats the plastic edge nuts!
Bellamachinna
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi... Very Happy

Very good looking car...
Best option, is to do what i did to my alloys.
Left the car on axle stands. Removed wheels, separated tyres from the alloys, and took the alloys to be refurbished.
I had one wheel, that was almost impossible to calibrate (had to use lots of wheights), but after the refurbisment, it doesnt need them anymore.
The guy that did the job, painted them with a satin finish, that when the car is in the sun, make those turbines shine...
It wasnt very expensive (25 € per wheel), and worth every € spent on them.

Regards
P.Camilo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Chaps, I'll give it a go!

I only found out the edge nuts were plastic when I used an Allen key to try and shift one! Shocked

Cheers
Hugh
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum