Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Air Fan...

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr A. 33 1.5IE
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject: Air Fan... Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

How can I improve the volume of air that runs throught the fan in the cabin?

Is there something that needs cleaning in order to improve things? Any filter or similar?

In addition I 've managed to clear up the drains nect to the windscreen wiper mechanism. It is an somehow easy job and believe me I was lucky to do so as sooner or later my 33s cabin cound easlily become an aquarium.

Thanks everyone Cool
gritsop
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Unfortunately there is nothing better to do for the amount of air ...
Air flow in series 3 compared to series 2 is more effective ...

There is no filter or similar... Probably there is way to take out the motor, clean it, put some lubricant in the motor etc. Since yours is an A/C system you may take out the blower motor from the egnine compartment uncovering the plastic shell.

Perhaps someone with A/C can help you in detail.

Regards,

http://www.alfa-restoration.co.uk
Parts Shop: www.alfa-restoration.co.uk/shop
Dr A. 33 1.5IE
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Gritsop,

My next question is that just above the plastic shell of the blower unit, there is a plastic folded sheath that routes the air towards the cabin. That plastic sheath is not fixed on the plastic shell and so if you lift it on the side (just a bit) you can see simething like a metallic mesh behind it.

Is there a way to DIY remove the cover of the blower unit (the top cover just behind the firewall and next to the battery) so that I can check wjhat is under there???

It might be something that could be cleaned (like those drains I did the other day)

Thanks for your reply

Take care Cool

ps. any updated stuff at the 33 restoration page?
gritsop
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Could be possible to gain access there but dont know since I dont have A/C in my 33. Let me take a look at the manuals and I ll get to you as soon as possible.

About the restoration site ... Bob are you there ???

Regards,

LDA
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

someone else on this site had a go at fixing their blowers. they took the whole unit right out and cleaned everything up. they also cleaned the blower tubes as best they could.

a bit of oil etc on the motor and a wet wipe of all the crud from in the plastic bits seemed to make a massive difference. much more air blowing afterwards.

however they said it was a big job to get the blower unit out in one part. i cant remember now if they had to take it out throught the top or bottom but it was quite a fiddle.

right off to search for the post.

L.
Bellamachinna
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi... Very Happy
From memory, when i removed the dashboard on my 16v, i recall to have seen 2 nuts that hold the entire a/c - heater unit.
I believe that, to gain acess to the fan/heater matrix/ a.c. matrix, you have to take out, the unit complete... Confused (however, i´m not sure).
I also have to change the fan "potentiometer", but left it because of the amount of work involved. Sad
I also believe that, to open the box, you will have to cut it with abrasive
disc (Dremmel), in pre-determined places, and use silicone to put it back... Rolling Eyes
If your fan-a/c unit works, leave it alone. You will probably not gain much, but you will lose lots of time and patiente.

Not a great help
take care
P.Camilo
LDA
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm. just spent ages searching and i cant find the post. maybe it wasnt this forum..

L.
bobbber
P4

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still alive!

Sorry about the lack of new stuff on the Alfa Restoration site lately. I've been a busy boy!!!!

New stuff will be added soon though. Gritsop - I DID receive your updated pictures for addition... I WILL get round to sorting it out.

New stuff to go on the site soon as follows :

Replacement of strut pan bearings on front struts
Replacement of boot struts
Fitting new doors (including transplanting all the door 'furniture' to them)
Rust repair.
Repairing holes in exhaust.
Checking the underside of car for the 'tin maggot'
Sorting out dodgey electrical connections
Alter rear brake shoe 'take up' clearance.
Replacement of rear wheel bearings.

Unfortunately at the moment I'm doing the work rather than putting it on the site - but I hope you get the idea.

(Incidentally, I've also just bought a 146 - drove it 12 miles, and the big end went!!!!)

Take care,

Rob
tvatavuk
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've recently (2 weeks ago) removed one non AC unit from 33 on scrapyard. It is one semi big plastic mass from Valeo ( blower and heater radiator unit)
There are 4 screws securing in cabin near driver & co feet. (2 of those on each side hold also central plastic console)
Unplug 3-4 control cables and 2-3 wire connectors from contorl dash.
Unplug those central console vents.
Unplug those two cooling liquid pipes that feed heater radiator, expect coolant coming out (in case u didn't drain whole system before)
Remove everything from engine bay by pulling/rotating it up because firewall is to close.
Firewall is in way, battery alos, brake clutch...

After all that you're in a hell of job of opening that big black plastic mass. Smile
Dr A. 33 1.5IE
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for your interest,

Just another question. Have you heard or read if anyone has ever replaced the blower unit of an 33 S3 with that of another Alfa model (any) for better results.

The obvious answer seems to be 'NO' but you never know, do you???

Take care everyone...and drive carefully

Laughing
Dr A. 33 1.5IE
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi again,

just a quick word to everyone and also to the restoration guys (Gritsop and Bo: by the way you got a very informative site!!! Keep up the good work)

As I mentioned earlier last weekend I managed to clean up the water drains located at the sides of the car close to the wipers mechanism, under that black plastic mesh where the wipers are bolted to their driving mechanism. As it is autumn here in Cyprus and we already had a few drops (of rain) I bet that with the first proper pour my car;s cabin would have turned into a pool. As I managed to clear up those drains with a long piece of wire and lots of water, I also would like to add something about rust.

Under that palstic mesh and at the middle part of the metal seal that holds the windscreen in place, holds a plastic sheath where the black plastic mesh holds itself. That place there tends to collect water from the windscreen and so when I removed the plastic mesh and that sheath revealed a lot of rust and pieces of it coming off.

After a good rubbing with sand paper and a few brushes of anti-rust primer I believe that this place there will be alright for sometime. In addition I more or less silicon proofed that area to avoid water being collected under that plastic sheath.

That's what I did guys,

I hope I helped a little

Be well evryone Very Happy
bobbber
P4

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just like to point out that the http://www.alfa-restoration.co.uk site is for as many people to contribute to as possible (please!).

If anyone has a commentary and some photos of work they've done - I'll keenly place it on the site.

Thanks!

Rob
Bellamachinna
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi... Very Happy

Quote:
Just another question. Have you heard or read if anyone has ever replaced the blower unit of an 33 S3 with that of another Alfa model (any) for better results

I remember, to seen a picture on the net, of a white S3, with the heater-A/C cluster of a Alfa 155. (Digital without the rotating knobs)
However, did it work???-i dont known.
Fitting another cluster is one thing. To make it fully funcional, it`s very complicated...

Take care
P.Camilo
gritsop
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I can't believe the S3 rusting in such place Exclamation

If I have understood correctly you mean the metal part under where the two plastic shields connect to each other , correct?

Proofing a car's body with silicon is not a common practise. However rusting in such place where water is running and cannot accumulate is strange. Something must have blocked the way (usually dirt and tree leaves) resulting in rust.

There are products to rust proof the car's body exclusivelly. Special primers and tar products containing also rubber material. This tar like material is also applied to the draining chamber under and around the wipers. Notice and you will see the area in a black color. This is how it looks like in my 33 at least.

Something important: did rust appear between two overlapping metal sheets or just in the level surface metal ?
If rust is on two overlapping sheets then it should be completely clean of rust, two or three layers of primer and then apply car body sealant - otherwise rust will emerge soon. Silicon is prone to weather and temperature changes and soon goes week peeling out. Sealant does not.

You could help providing a couple of photos about this issue.

Talk again.

Regards,

Ben_nz
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey bobbber, here's something for your site:
http://www.axys.co.nz/ben/alfa33/ventilation_restoration/ventilat.htm
I made this page by copying one of the pages on your 33 restoration site and editing it in Notepad. If you download everything in the directory http://www.axys.co.nz/ben/alfa33/ventilation_restoration/ then with a bit of tidying up, you can hopefully adapt it and use it. Very Happy

Unfortunately there are no photos of the ventilation unit disassembled.

I have more photos (wing mirror restoration, seat spacer adjusting, wiring in driving lights, cleaning rear view mirror, steering wheel removal, repair of wiper intermittence module etc) that could be good to go on your site too.
bobbber
P4

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ben....! That's EXACTLY what I'm talking about. If you look at the http://www.alfa-restoration.co.uk site, you'll see I've implemented it!

Any more to come would be greatfully received. I have loads more of my own stuff to put on there too (as always, it's finding the time!)

Gritsop - I've put your car piccies on too!

Bob
bobbber
P4

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of interest Ben (and TOTALLY off topic) - that's a cracking red carpet you've got in there.

That's not original surely.

Must have been a bitch to fit? Is it just normal carpet you've cut?

Bob
Bellamachinna
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Very Happy Very Happy
Also totally out of topic, in anwser to the red carpet theme, ALL series 2 1.7 QV had red carpets... A real pain to keep clean (and red), but real nice to look at...(especially when the car color is red, or black).

Best regards
P.Camilo
bobbber
P4

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad I wanna red carpet like that!
Ben_nz
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The red carpet is original, and like the rest of the car, not very good quality. It's made of cheap synthetic stuff (unlike in my old NZ-assembled Cordia.. *sniff*) so when it wears out it goes furry/fluffy. This allows it to grab onto bits of dry grass etc and refuse to let go. Vacuuming the carpet doesn't do much - you have to pick the bits out of it by hand. Confused

You wanna see the carpet in the late Sprint QVs - bright green baby! Very Happy
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: