Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Big brakes

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rich B
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:19 pm    Post subject: Big brakes Reply with quote

I wondered if anyone has tried fitting 155 v6/145 cloverleaf front/rear discs and calipers and if its worth doing.

Obviously you'd need 15" wheels and some kind of adapter kit to fit the calipers.

Thanks

Rich
tvatavuk
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm tring it right now.
Lancia Thema 3.0 284,22,44 discs with its girling front calipers.
164 257,22,50 disc
145 257,20,39.5 disc and calipers
With a lot of luck I may get hold of 145 2.0 discs and calipers in few weeks.

Problem with mounting calipers on 33 hub is this. 33 calipers bolt on from behind(inside), while all new AR cars bolt on from front(outerside).

In this case caliper mount is in same area-plane with 33 hub.

Closest match I've found at this moment is calipers from 145,6 (that go on 257mm discs) and 284,22,39.5mm discs from 145 2.0. and adapter.

If you only want bigger discs, then 284,22,44 from should give you enough space from hub to caliper mount to be able to make adapter to mount original 16v calipers. In 257 ther is not enogh space.
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

From memory the 155 V6 disks have a different offset (ie, disk surface to mounting surface) than the other 155s and is the only one that matches the 33.

All the best

Keith
Rich B
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips - It sounds like the 155 v6 discs and calipers may be the best bet. Any ideas where I could get an adapter kit to mount the calipers?

I think I'll also need to fit an uprated master cylinder such as from the 155.

I've got Tarox G88 discs front and rear with fast road pads which are great but tend to fade very badly with continuous hard use. I hoped that larger discs would cool quicker and provide better braking power.
tvatavuk
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Closest discs to original offset is one I have mentioned firts it is 43.5 mm not 44 as I first said.
Go here
http://www.brembo.com/ENG/Market/Catalogue/SearchCars.htm
and enter in brembo reference this:

You now get all cars that had this disc, most of this calipers are Girling one.
And from what I have seen on car scrap yards they are all pretty much the same, concerning mounting points on hub. That disc and caliper cannot be mounted on 33 hub without major work, or driling new holes in caliper mounts to match those on 33 hub which I do not find smart.

Major work = about 1 cm big spacer to offset disc outside, triming 1-2 disc cover protection holes on 33 hub, making very dificult 2 adapter plates for each caliper mount screw.

On other side as I said you can fit that disc easily on 33 hub and make little triming on 33 calipers mount, and making 1 adapter plate for each caliper. Only Problem I see with this is that only about 50% efective area of disc is used because pads are not wide(high) enough.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum