Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Resprays

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rich B
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:10 pm    Post subject: Resprays Reply with quote

Anyone had a respray done on their car? How much does it cost approximately (I know its all down to condition before they start but a ballpark figure would be nice)

Cheers

Rich
gritsop
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Actually doing respray job to the car depends on the fact of removing items like headlights, bumpers, windscreens etc. This is the factor that drives up the cost of the respray. The respray man will have to cover up every item that will be resprayed by accident and as one can understand it is a painful job; not having them blocking the way is desirable for the guy.

Generally speaking a respray job can cost just 300-400€ if nothing is removed and can go up to 1500-2000€ for a mint job.

Regards

http://www.alfa-restoration.co.uk
Parts Shop: www.alfa-restoration.co.uk/shop
paulhide
P4

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, in England, about £800-£1000 and be aware this will not include any interior work. The ultimate respray would include completely stripping the car down to the shell. What colour were you thinking of? I've had one done in white and it looks real neat. Apparently white is the hardest paint, (at least that's what I was told,) but like black is a bugger to keep clean.
john 33_16v
16 Valve

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Any paint job is only as good as the preparation, and this takes time. The spraying is the easy(ish!) bit!!

You may be able to do a deal where you not only strip the car of it's trim, but also do most of the prep, in terms of filling and flatting down the old paint etc.

As well as a few other cars, I did the front end on this Alfa sud <a href="http://www.alfisti.co.uk/resto_sud.htm"></a> many years back.

Also did the Minari paint <a href="http://www.alfisti.co.uk/mingalpage.htm"></a>

Cheers,

John
08 Fiat Grande Punto Exotica Red
90 Yamaha FZR600 Genesis- Silky white/red/blue
johnboy
16 Valve

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi rich

its all about the prep work,plus what colour you want, if you wanted to do it in flip paint,which changes colour.you would be looking at £250 plus VAT per litre.then harder and clear coat.you would need two litres for your car.if its a solid colour like red. it would be around £40-£50 per litre.black is the hardest to paint, as the panel has to be very flat or it will show up everything. guess what i do for a living Wink

regards john

Alfa gt jtdm blackline
1990 S2 16v veloce sleeping!
2002 ts gtv the wifes now
1997 seadoo gsx 800
1999 freestyle superjet
Ben_nz
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, I thought it was black that was the hardest to paint and not white.
Everything shows on black paint, but if I had a white car I could pretty much spill petrol down the side of it and not worry. Sad
Rich B
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips and advice guys - I was planning on keeping to the same colour which is lovely Alfa Red (although at the moment its in many shades). I'm certainly not into Max Power style flip paint etc

I'm quite prepared to do some of the stripping but I've only got a single garage so I don't have a lot of space, I don't know how I could transport the car to the bodyshop, plus I'm not confident I could put it all back together again.

Do you guys think that any competant bodyshop will be able to cope or should I make sure its done by someone who knows Alfas (I think there's a place called Alfa Restorations in Shropshire, anyone know it? Otherwise I thought of MS Coachworks in Purley, or Omicron Lancia near Norwich - I'm prepared to travel for a decent job)

Cheers

Rich
paulhide
P4

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I think you misunderstood me, guys. The bloke who resprayed my car seemed to think that white was the toughest paint, not the toughest TO paint. On the other hand I don't believe everything I'm told.
johnboy
16 Valve

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul

I know what he means,the first coat you put on, you can see. then you get a bit of a white out.

regards john

Alfa gt jtdm blackline
1990 S2 16v veloce sleeping!
2002 ts gtv the wifes now
1997 seadoo gsx 800
1999 freestyle superjet
the_angel
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich B wrote:
plus I'm not confident I could put it all back together again.

You'd be surprised how "easy" it is. Actually, pulling it apart is VERY easy. It's getting it back together. But as long as you keep all your screws and stuff in seperate bags (ie one for seat stuff, one for doors, one for mirrors etc) its a bit easier.

Just make sure you use the original doors that are on your car. I used some spare ones we had, because mine were dented and scratched. And thanks to the build quality in good old South Italy they don't fit properly and now most of my doors leak when it rains.

Having some of the manuals and stuff will help. But then in english it says things like 'remove the piece with alfa special tool. To replace, reverse of removal'. which is actually NOT that helpful.

Good luck!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum