Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Exhaust Question and do u have a 33 16v cat going spare?????

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matthe_W_allace (n/l)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:58 pm    Post subject: Exhaust Question and do u have a 33 16v cat going spare????? Reply with quote

I have a backbox ready to go on my 33 16v (WITH CAT!!) and basically my centre section with cat is buggered!

SO I need a new one.

1. Where can I get the best priced one?

or

2. I know the non cat manifold does not bolt to the centre section like the cat version does, therefore, will it be cheaper to get a new (non cat) middle section and manifold and fit that instead...? WIll the manifold fit?

I can put it through the mot as a 1992 (non-cat) as my car is a K-reg so am not worries about that!

The best price I have found is 120 + VAT which is fairly good (trade price).

Unless anyone has a cat going spare?
Matthe_W_allace
Alfasud

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry that was me ^^^^^^ forgot to login
john 33_16v
16 Valve

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

If you are sure you don't need a cat for the mot, then fit a non-cat middle section.

As you say you would need to fit a non cat, non-cross over manifold too. The only problem here is the lambda probe. However i believe that if the lambda is disconnected and the ecu reset (by disconnecting the battery) the ecu will run as on a non cat car (not totally certain on this though!).

A brand new genuine cat went for £100 inc postage on ebay a week or two ago!

Non genuine cats can be found on the net for about £275.

I had to cut and shut a new tailpiece on an old cat a few years back as they rot at the join to the back box. This got thru 2 MOTs fine 'till I managed to get a nearly new cat on Ebay for £25 (thank God!!)

Last Mot, tester didn't even test emissions let alone cat, 'coss he thought the car was 1980 ( i have an old reg number ending in V)!!! When he was writing the certificate and saw 1993 on the previous cert, he looked a bit worried!!

Hope this helps

John
08 Fiat Grande Punto Exotica Red
90 Yamaha FZR600 Genesis- Silky white/red/blue
Rich B
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello

Just a suggestion, but this may be worth considering - CSC do a sport cat centre section for the 16v which is about £120 + vat. I think this is a direct replacement for the standard cat and therefore you shouldn't need to replace the manifold that you already have, and thus may be cheaper than a new centre section and manifold.

In my opinion this would be a good solution as you wouldn't lose too much power, you can get the car through the mot easily and you won't have to mess around with the lamda sensor/ecu. With the new mot regulations that are in force, i.e all info electronically sent to a central computer, it may be difficult to convince them that the car does not need a cat as the chassis number (which they will have) is likely to indicate the year of the car.

Hope this helps

Rich

PS: the CSC website is at www.csc-marmitte.it and will give details of the part numbers required. The Uk distributor is

TORINO AUTO SPARES
16 WINDMILL CLOSE ASHBY DE LA ZOUCH
LEICESTERSHIRE LE65 1EQ
ENGLAND

TEL. 0044 1530 414310
FAX 0044 1530 564226

torinospares@aol.com
Matthe_W_allace
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice.

Managed to get a new centre section and manifold for a non cat for a shade under 75 quid! (mmm trade prices)

So plus the 20 quid for the backbox thats under 100 quid for a full new system and decat! Twisted Evil

Thanks for all the help anyway, will keep that company in mind if i fancy an exhaust change!

matt
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum