Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

clutch service.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
errolhq
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:43 am    Post subject: clutch service. Reply with quote

Hi, It's been three days with my car in the parking lot cause I can't remove the cluctch slave cilinder!! the one that goes above the engine. I have removed the hose and the bleeding screw. I can't remove the fastener because it wont go out in the side that goes near the engine, there is so much little space space!!

pleeeeease help!!
thanks a lot!
paulhide
P4

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, pig of a job isn't it. There is a circlip on the back of the slave cylinder which needs to be opened with circlip pliers whilst the slave cylinder is pushed back out through its mounting (which may need light taps from a small hammer to ease it out). And of course the steering arm gets in the way so you may need to turn the steering a bit. There also seems to be a bit of a slot that the circlip lights to sit in underneath it which makes things a little more difficult as if it needed to be any more difficult. You need three hands really. Just changed one of mine yesterday. If you really need more room you can always undo the steering arm from the steering rack (17 or 22mm) (move it into an easy position first and jack the wheel up to allow free movement.) Then you've got to get the thing back in. That's fun aswell. The circlip needs to be held open vertically whilst the new slave cylinder is pushed back in - there is a slot just beneath on the engine block where you can use a lever to keep easing the cylinder in and out on its front until you get the circlip over. (Put the circlip ready to be opened in its slot and then put the slave cylinder in one end and add the rubber sleeve with the metal bar in the other so you don't get the rubber jammed. Good luck. Anyone got any other advice?
Vecchio Alfisti
Alfasud

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Errol
Welcome to the club. It is a P**** of a job. One of the problems is that there is insufficient space on the engine side for the circlip to be released, so the circlip must be opened with the Opening either at the top or slightly inclined towards the engine/centre of the car. But there is insufficient space for the circlip pliers. Get as much as you can out of the way as Paul suggests. If the slave cylinder does not rotate freely before you undo the circlip, get at it with some Penetrene and a soft faced mallet. Good luck
John Refer also to post[quote]Reinstallation of slave cylinder in this forum.
Irish Alfa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,
I’m having some clutch slave cylinder problems too. I was dropping brake fluid and I’ve sourced the leak to the slave cylinder. I don’t know exactly whereabouts it’s coming from. I haven’t tackled it head on as yet because I don’t want to be stuck without my 16v while waiting for parts, topping up daily with brake fluid for now. From reading the couple of posts on this I really hope there is going to be an easier fix than replacing slave cylinder, sounds like some of you have had a bitch of a time. Any ideas on whether I can overhaul whichever seal is broken or have I got a seriously tricky job ahead?

Thanks for all the great support on this site by the way....legends!
paulhide
P4

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if you were going to overhaul it, you would need to take it out. It isn't too hard a job once you know what you're up against, but the only real way of knowing is to do it a few times and I've done it three times on three different cars over the last year. (and a master cylinder, which is easier). Remember to lubricate the outside of the new cylinder when putting it in through the mounting on the block, so that it can move in and out more easily. Shame you can't bring it here and I'd do it for you.
Irish Alfa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the offer Paul, i had grown quite fond of doing the 'little' jobs on my 33 myself. Only, since I've come back to Ireland the little jobs are needing doing every week. Last week during a really heavy frost I went to close the door after de-iceing but the latch wouldnt engage... the spring in the locking mech had shattered from the cold. Using the spring from the rear door now. I think she is starting to feel a little sorry for herself with all the miles I'm putting her through!!
An old alfa fan driving a 156 asked if I was selling only a month ago, he was looking for a track-day car...I told him I'm never selling, I love this car! Might think about reconsidering.... but until then I'll get on with repair, drive, repair....
Irish Alfa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, i found my trusty Alfasud/Sprint Haynes manual and I think I know what I'm up against... in it it has a grouping of "Repair kit components", these are a couple of seals, a washer and a rubber boot that goes over the push rod. Does anyone know if I can get a generic set of these parts or do they have to come from Italy? Would be great to be able to get them local so I could get it completed on the weekend.
Vecchio Alfisti
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not know about the situation in Europe but I know that in Oz the generic was more expensive and less available than the "genuine" set.
John
rjbevan
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have yet to do mine (but not sure if it's master or slave cylinder!). Anyway I got my parts from the local car shop; they are both original parts (Lockheed but now part of the Delphi group). Part number for the slave was LL42201. Cost me £30.00. We looked up the cost for the repair kit and I think t was about £20 so it wasn't worth buying it as it could be a waste of money if the bore of the old cylinder is worn and pitted.

PS Presume the parts are the same for the Sud and 33?
Irish Alfa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help on that one. I got a new slave cylinder from Alfa garage, cost me 55 euro. Mechanic said I was going to have problems with it but it really wasnt too bad. Hardest bit was taking the old one out, there wasnt any room to pull it out of its housing so i removed one side of the supply manifold and it came out easy. Putting the cir-clip back on is easy enough once you have the right pliers i think; one that opens out and is bent 90% at the tip.
It was running at bit rough when I first took it back out, not sure why but maybe it could have had something to do with taking off the supply manifold. Gave it a bit of an Italian tunning and it was fine again.

Yeah, a lot of the Sprint seems to be the same as the 33 except there is no 16v section.

PS., would normally log on properly but old sign in name isnt valid anymore and it wont give me a new one with same email.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: