Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

engine swap 1.3 to 1.7 ???

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
specialpedro
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:35 am    Post subject: engine swap 1.3 to 1.7 ??? Reply with quote

hi evryone, i hope anyone can help me.

I have a alfa 33 1.3. And i am on vacation in england.
Off course my engine find that a very good moment to die...
It's something with the cranck. Now a friend of mine over here can swap the engine for me. The only problem is, there aren't many alfa 33 over here. The only decent one why could find was a alfa 33 1.7.

Does anyone know if it's possible to put the 1.7 engine in my 1.3 car ?

Another qeustion:
What are the differences between Right-Hand Drive engine's and Left-Hand Engine's ?

Because mine is a Left-Hand Drive, and the other is a Right-Hand Drive.

I hope someone is able to help me as soon as possible.
Because i can't go home before i have sorted this out
Ben_nz
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be possible to put a 1.7 engine in a 1.3.
Is your 33 fuel injected?
The gearbox of your 1.3 engine will probably have shorter gearing than the 1.7 gearbox, and your exhaust system (the headers at least) may be a smaller diameter than the exhausts on a 1.7 33.
paulhide
P4

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, as Ben said, pretty easy if both are carburetted. You may have to swap distributors or coil - some have a control on the distributor and some by the coil, but again this isn't much of a problem. You'll notice quite a difference. More power, but a bit more weight on the front requiring a little more control - definitely more fun, though the 1.7 isn't as smooth as the 1.3. I've never driven a 1.7 with a 1.3 gearbox though - probably a bit of wheelspin on pulling away. It is my favourite of the 33s engines. If we're talking injection, though things may not be quite so easy.
Ben_nz
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is the 1.7 engine heavier? I assumed the block, heads etc would be the same items, but the 1.7 would just be bored and stroked to increase capacity, have different cam profiles or valve sizes etc... Do they strengthen the internals, use a larger radiator or something?
specialpedro
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks all for the help. I am ganna try to putt the engine in my car. as soon as i've got the enigne. i will post when it's done. and how it went.

Thanx all so far
33mad

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: 33 engine Reply with quote

specialpedro wrote:
thanks all for the help. I am ganna try to putt the engine in my car. as soon as i've got the enigne. i will post when it's done. and how it went.

Thanx all so far

Hi. If you haven't already found one, I have a Alfa 33 1.3 single carburettor engine which I'm happy to sell if you're interested. The engine is low mileage and for £75.
My number is 07886 192806
specialpedro (not logged)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:48 am    Post subject: Re: 33 engine Reply with quote

33mad wrote:
specialpedro wrote:

Thanx all so far

Hi. If you haven't already found one, I have a Alfa 33 1.3 single carburettor engine which I'm happy to sell if you're interested. The engine is low mileage and for £75.

Sorry m8, i didn't really looked on this forum anymore.
To busy looking for an engine Razz. euhmm your engine.
Single carburettor... i have 2 twin carburettors, what's better ? Or can i putt my twin carburettors on the engine ?

And how low is the mileage ?

And what city are you living ? so i know how far i have to go to collect it.

I hope i hear something from you very soon,
beacause i really need a good engine !
specialpedro
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 33 engine Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
33mad wrote:
specialpedro wrote:

Thanx all so far

Sorry m8, i didn't really looked on this forum anymore.
To busy looking for an engine Razz. euhmm your engine.
Single carburettor... i have 2 twin carburettors, what's better ? Or can i putt my twin carburettors on the engine ?

And how low is the mileage ?

And what city are you living ? so i know how far i have to go to collect it.

I hope i hear something from you very soon,
beacause i really need a good engine !

((( This was me, i forgot to log in ))) Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: