Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Water leak

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevinatkins
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: Water leak Reply with quote

Hi there,

I've finally got my old Permanent 4 on the road again, after wiring nightmares and three shots at the UK MoT test. Thanks to all who helped with my wiring problems.

Anyway, now I've discovered the thing leaks like a sieve - the passenger footwell is like a swamp, and the passenger seat is a bit damp, too.

For starters, water appears to be leaking past the sunroof - the rooflining is damp, and I've seen quite a few drips. So I'm thinking this is probably blocked drainage holes - but where do they drain to? Is it down inside the A-Pillars, or what.. If I poke around with some stiff wire, might that help?

I think there may be other leaks, too, but the sunroof clearly needs attention first. I don't want to do it the 'bodge' way with silicon sealant, rendering the sunroof permanently inoperable (ie, sealed shut - yes, I have seen that done, eek)

So if anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd be grateful.

Many thanks,

Kevin.
Ben_nz
Gold Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disclaimer: I've never seen the sunroof on a series 3 car.

The sunroof has one drain hole at each corner, and of course rust starts around the holes. The holes drain down the pillars and come out under the car.
I've never removed the roof lining in my car to see how it's done.

Pull up the seal around the hole in the roof and check the metal isn't rusting under there, letting water seep through into the roof lining.
If your car was Series 1 or 2, you might find other leaks around the radio aerial, the front top corners of the front doors, and around the rear windscreen wiper and the bottom corners of the rear hatch glass.

The sunroof glass can be removed completely - I didn't realise that until I read the manual. You need a flathead screwdriver or small coin, which you use to turn the catch in the middle of the raising/lowering wheel at the same time as you push upward on the glass. Then you open the roof as far as it can go so you can get at the safety release catch, which releases the glass for removal.
If you can manage to do that all by yourself, from inside the car while sitting in traffic, have a look at the expression of the driver in the car behind you in your rear vision mirror.
He'll go Shocked ....then Rolling Eyes
paulhide
P4

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told that the drain holes can become blocked and that they can be cleared using that old type of wire that was used for a light (shower)curtain rail. Idea Question
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: