Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Boy-Racer legislation woes

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sudman
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 2:28 pm    Post subject: Boy-Racer legislation woes Reply with quote

Hey all,

This is a bit of a moan about a stupid new law that has recently been passed by our oh-so clear thinking government here in New Zealand. Its known widely as the "Boy Racer" law and it is primarily designed to get the boy racers off the roads.

One of the things they have put in place, is the immediate confiscation of a car that is seen to be "accelerating unecessarily." How they define unecessary acceleration is beyond me..... you have to accelerate in order to move.... right?

The other is the instant un-roadworthiness of a car with a "louder exhaust system than standard" and that now all cars are going to have to adhere to this rule when they go for their Warrant of Fitness test (6 monthly for older cars). This is going to hit more people than just boy-racers, (road legal club cars and the like), and it all seems a bit vague, as no one can tell exactly what level of sound is permitted and road side tests are next to useless (I know from experience). Imagine asking the cop exactly what level your 83 Sud Ti had with a standard system anyway....

Seems the brainless beanie-clad moron sitting on the floor of his Mazda 323 screaming down an urban street doin 100km/h with a stereo that'd shame a nightclub has finally screwed it all up for everyone.......

Cheers,
Richard
Errol
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man that blows! I know what you mean. Here in OZ they are cracking down on young hoons, mainly p platers etc or people in the 17-20yr bracket. I admit i do speed a bit in the 33 but really it runs better if i keep it going..it dont like doing 60 in a 60 zone. But in terms of exhaust theres ok and too loud. And most people do all there japanese cars with 20 inch chrome Rolling Eyes wheels , lowered like anything ( not for handling purposes , but for looks ) , all this other crap they put on the car etc. But they do it for show , not for the car. Personally, the alfa gets a lot of looks and its bone stock. Probably because most people in Sydney dont know what a 33 16v is.... idiots! Very Happy
Falken 195 low profile
K&N Pod filter
Cannon 2inch exhaust from cat-back with 3inch tip.
ak8635
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think the limits are sometimes stupid..
i mean i fully agree with the 30mph in the high street but 70 mph on those beatiful motorways?? 70mph on M1? It is a pity.

Back home all the road are like driving on ice (bad design of the road, not good quality of surface) and i had a small car and i could 90-100mph.

Here now i have the beast and i cant let it loose on this amazing motorway!
And you have also all those weird drivers that cruise on fast lane with 60mph-70 mph.
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ak8635 wrote:
And you have also all those weird drivers that cruise on fast lane with 60mph-70 mph.

They arent drivers Evil or Very Mad

They will move over if you sit at about 120mph with your headlights on full main beam. Your licence wont last long though

All the best

Keith
ChrisC
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 1:09 am    Post subject: boy racers Reply with quote

Glad we dont have that here. Sounds like a pile of balls though for all the reasons you mention.

I think the people who get hit hardest will definately be the washer lights and wings brigade. And thats no bad thing, so long as they crush the cars after they confiscate them. Or if its a nice car thats been mutilated, they can sell it to someone with a brain to return it to as it should be.
ak8635
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith,
i am against agressive driving (only overtaking from the left if the whole procedure takes time Twisted Evil )

I had someone with a new A6 4.8 litre, cruiising with 50 mph while there was a huge queue of 5-6 cars behind him.
alexj
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This new exhaust rule (not law yet) will be very, very bad for road driven club cars. The wording is particulary bad as it seems to prohibit any type of exhaust system that can be configured for low noise on the road and then quickly changed to low restriction setup when you arrive at the racetrack. Refer section 2.7(3) of the pdf document:
http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/consultation/vehicle-equipment/overview-32017.pdf

If you live in New Zealand, you need to go to this URL:
http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/consultation/vehicle-equipment/

Then download the PDF document, print it out and make sure you understanding fully. Then compose a carefully worded responce as to why you think the rule should be tossed out altogether or what exemptions should be made. Then go to the submissions page and submit your reply:
http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/consultation/vehicle-equipment/submission-form.html

For example, how does the officer or WOF testing station know the sound level of the manufacturers exhaust for a 25 year old car, when there are either a) so few on the road, or b) if the car was NZ assembled, then under local content rules, the NZ version was probably never fitted with the standard exhaust (from country of origin), but some NZ made substitute was used instead?

For some models of car over 20 years old, there are probably no examples of the car with the standard exhaust left in the country, so how can the officer tell if it is louder or not?

I would also suggest that an exemption is required for all genuine motorsport vehicals (carrying a Motorsport NZ vehical logbook).

Once you have made your submission, then write a letter to the minister of transport and minister of police asking why the police need stupid laws like this when if your car is broken into, the police do not come to investigate, they just tell you to come down to the police station and make a report. Ask him why he doesn't focus his energy on getting the police to enforce existing laws that are being broken every day, instead of passing new laws that aren't needed.

Then write a letter to the minister of sport and ask him why genuine motorsport competitors are to be "taxed" (fines from driving your club car with loud exhaust), to pay for the tens of millions of dollars that is being given to millionare yachties to spend the next few years on the Rivera for the next Americas Cup?

While you are at it, you can ask him what his government has given to NZ motorsport in the last few years.

Then, a few days later, write to your local MP asking why you haven't got a responce from the minister of transport and the minister of sport, and relay your concerns to him or her.

Please use you own words - don't just copy mine - we don't want it to look like a form letter (and spell check). Submissions close on Tuesday 3 June 2003. Don't leave it to the last minute.

Regards
Lex
Dreamracers
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to say it, but the French have something right...

Lower speed limits in the wet! 130kph in dry and 110kph in the wet. Still maybe a little low in the dry, but would you want to see a WagonR trying to reach the limit?!

Much worse than speed are people who have no clue what lanes are for on motorways?!!!
James Granger
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or a convoy of caravans going 65 (km/h) Rolling Eyes .
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Italians are getting the right idea. As nobody kept to the motorway speed limits they have just increased them to 150kmp

All the best

Keith
alexj
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A reminder, if you live in New Zealand, it's your last day to make a submission. Please go to this URL:
http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/consultation/vehicle-equipment/
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum