Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Starter motor problems?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobbber
P4

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Starter motor problems? Reply with quote

All,

My 33's starter has been playing up recently. When I first get in the car, and turn the key, the "click" noise can be heard - but the starter doesn't turn the engine Shocked

If I turn the key again - it generally starts then! Why might this be? In the past the starter has been slow to disengage - is this the cause?

Thanks!

Bob
stedee
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi
from what i remember about starters the cog of the starter moves forward to engage the flywheel, that forward movement is the problem it becomes stiff after time if you take it off and give it a clean that could sort it out
if you do want one i have got one for 15 quid plus postage
steve
Ken McCarthy
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: Starter Motor Problems Reply with quote

Bob

That can often indicate an electrical problem - either a poor connection or low battery. Check the terminals at the starter motor, battery and main earth to the engine. Check the battery charge and the alternator charge rate. Do your headlights dim at idle and brighten when you rev? That usually indicates low battery charge.

Regards
icky
Alfasud

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I've got the same problem at the moment, which is why the beast is in the driveway slowly turning "Bobber" Pink. Very Happy

The starter didn't turn at all and no clicks, but this was intermittant, some days it would, some it wouldn't.
I replaced the starter motor and it turned over beautiful first time. The next day the fault came back.

Is there a relay between the key and the solenoid that could be playing up?
Dodgy contacts on the key switch?

Cheers

1988 33 1.5 S 8V
paulhide
P4

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could simply be a short somewhere draining the battery? I had this problem with my white car until I sorted out the central locking system which wasn't working properly, or maybe it was just coincidence and warmer weather? You could use an ammeter from a battery terminal to one of the leads and if there was some current flowing that shouldn't be take one fuse/relay out at a time to see where the problem might be. Don't forget if you have a door open the interior lights will be using power.
Dr A. 33 1.5IE
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

The clicking sound that you hear when you turn the ignition I assume that is a good sign that the ignition sends the message to the starter motor. If it doesn't you have to check the ignition.

Now if it is a problem with a stuck cog/ring from the starter that should engage when you turn the key, then what you can do is to get a can of WD40 and try to spray some lubricant inside the starter (without removing it of course). The starter motor has an opening on the side facing side/upwards underneath the intake pipe of the air filter and placed over the engine block. The starter's nose is facing towards the firewall.

Try that and it might work...

Good luck...
bobbber
P4

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm.... do you mean into where I've arrowed it?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats the exactly right place, Bob Smile
markgp4
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops forgot to log in, sorry

Yes thats the exactly right place Bob Smile
bobbber
P4

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm.... out came the ECU, off came the corrogated elbow, the air filter etc... My starter looks NOTHING like the photo of the spare I have - and has no hole. Instead I've got a rubber thing!? Confused.... I'll take photos.

Bob
johnboy
16 Valve

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning Rob

well as you've started stripping your engine ,you mite aswell put a proper engine in now Wink

john

Alfa gt jtdm blackline
1990 S2 16v veloce sleeping!
2002 ts gtv the wifes now
1997 seadoo gsx 800
1999 freestyle superjet
bobbber
P4

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John.... coincidence you've said that as I had a good look down inside the engine bay - and it's already got one! Laughing

Bob
bobbber
P4

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm..... It took me AGES to work out it has this cover over the cog :

Oops! Laughing

Anyway - I'm gonna change the starter for another one... There seems to be no room to remove it though. Half the problem is various pipes and wires which run over the top of the starter. Does the inlet manifold need to come off to change it then? Or do I just have rubbish routing of these tubes and cables? I'll have to take the manifold off in this case anyway - and reroute everything properly.

For example, the coolant junction is sitting on top of the starter, as is the AAV pipe and the clutch hydraulic piping.

Surely this all needs to be routed somewhere else?

Thanks!

Bob
johnboy
16 Valve

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rob

Yes you do have to take off the inlet manifold.well i had to on my 16v,so i would think you would for yours?

john

Alfa gt jtdm blackline
1990 S2 16v veloce sleeping!
2002 ts gtv the wifes now
1997 seadoo gsx 800
1999 freestyle superjet
Tim
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you pull out the motor (if you haven't already) try getting a piece of fairly thick cable and attaching one end to the +ve pole of the battery then dabbing the other end directly on the starter motor terminal.
I had the same problem as you and changed out the starter motor only to find it was a high resistance connection somewhere in the starter circuit (probably in the pain-in-the-a*se immobiliser I have fitted). I rigged up my own starter circuit utilising one of the unused switches on the dashboard and a relay and it's worked perfectly since then! Smile
Scott Sander
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim wrote:
Before you pull out the motor (if you haven't already) try getting a piece of fairly thick cable and attaching one end to the +ve pole of the battery then dabbing the other end directly on the starter motor terminal.
I had the same problem as you and changed out the starter motor only to find it was a high resistance connection somewhere in the starter circuit (probably in the pain-in-the-a*se immobiliser I have fitted). I rigged up my own starter circuit utilising one of the unused switches on the dashboard and a relay and it's worked perfectly since then! Smile

Yeah had a similar problem 6 years ago, except connected the relay up to the existing starter motor solenoid control wire. It works because the new relay uses far less current than the starter solenoid.

Have a look at my website for the relay mod details. This type of mod can also be used for headlights, etc
bobbber
P4

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced the starter motor - that was clearly the problem. It starts first time again now.

Thanks people for all the advise - and thanks Paul for the starter motor.

Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: