Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Cracked windscreen

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Cracked windscreen Reply with quote

My series 3 has recently developed a nasty crack in the windscreen which is currently about a foot and a half long and seems to be getting longer by the day.
Does anyone know if this can be repaired, or better still if it's possible to change the windscreen yourself. I believe the screen on this model is bonded but maybe someone has tried mending it themself? It must be possible!
stedee
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have had a go at getting one out ,the sealant is very tough so i gave up.i was using one of those blades where they are long and you can snap pieces off when the point is blunt.
my suggestion is if your insurance is nearly up get reinsured and get the windscreen cover.
bobbber
P4

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to RAC windscreens and said "give me a good price for a new windscreen and fitting or else" and they did it for about a ton.

Bob
Tim
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I think I'll ask around as I want a decent job done. Prolly cost more than half the value of the car mind, like the new set of tyres I had to get for the last MOT Rolling Eyes

If the value of the car was 10 times what it actually is I wouldn't begrudge it for a moment but because it's worth so little I worry every time I have to spend money on it. Strange really as I love the car whatever it's worth Confused
paulhide
P4

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, know what you mean. I've got a 3rd P4 in my driveway and I've had to come to terms with the fact that it would cost too much to get it on the road even though some of it is in rather good nick, but then you have to ask how much is it worth to you, compared to other cars. Also, sometimes better the devil you know than taking your chances with an unknown replacement car. Reckon Bobbber is the expert here. You could do a lot worse mind. Modern cars can cost a fortune to service. My girlfriend's brother bought a Rover 75 and then had to spend nearly a grand on a new clutch, another grand on cambelt/head gasket and a hundred quid on a new back box - all in one year - and then he sold it as it needed new tires!
Edward
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim,

I have taken the screen out of one car - as a spare for the track car that I have. The series 3 cars are bonded in as opposed to series 2 that have a rubber gasket. It takes about 2 hours to cut the screens out of a car, with a combination of those 'snappy off' blades as well as a thin piece of wire used a bit like a cheesewire around 2 wooden handles.

I haven't yet had to replace the one I have but I think it wouldn't be too difficult.

If you have a large crack I would suggest that would be terminal - as I imagine localised stone chips can be repaired - but not a large crack that starts from the edge is beyond any repair. That's my guess anyway.

E.
bobbber
P4

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes... I am the expert at sticking with it. I have seen 33's that, although cosmetically look nicer than mine, are a whole lot more trouble.

And the cosmetic bits are coming into line at the moment.

Bob
bobbber
P4

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I'm getting at is - I *could* go out tomorrow and buy another 33 for £300. However, it's BOUND to have all those typical 33 problems wrong with it that I've fixed on mine.

Paul - next time I see you (probably SAD 2007?) you're gonna be a whole lot impressed with how my 33 looks (I think!).

Bob
mt
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last i got told from a legal point of view was that anything over about 1/2" can't be repaired.
Windscreen insutance would be the best way to go.

Interesting point about not hesitating on a car that costs 10 times as much, as far as i'm concerned maintenence is a neccessity on all cars and doesn't increase the value of a car so it shouldn't matter how much the car is worth. If anything i'll be inclined to take the cheaper option on a cheaper car than the 'proper' option on a more expensive car where taking a cheaper option can reduce the value somewhat.
For example, i'll quite happily do a service on my 33 for the price of parts, but doing it on a 2 year old 147 would dramatically decrease the value, so i'd have to spend a fortune at a stealer just to get a stamp for the service history.
And, unless it's an investment, a more expensive car will depreciate thus losing even more money, and ties up capital.
gritsop
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

I will second mt's opinion about maintenance on a car that sometimes the spare parts needed exceed the car value. Series 1 & 2 33s can reach in Greece at most 1500€ and series 3 can get at 3000€ at most.

I have been "advised" by many people to stop "investing" money on the 33 as it is not worth it. Asking them what is the definition of "not worth it" they cannot quite tell ... they say go get a new one, with airbags, pretensioners, ABS to be safe!
However the reply from me is that all these tech features new cars have , are just an extra click for ensuring active safety.
People, simply face the fact that the driver actually protects himself and not the electronics; then there is nothing to be said by them and they simply shut up.

An example I have is a person close to our family; he traded back his 5 year old Seat Leon just because the car needed new cambelts, tires and shocks all around! He also considered himself as a smart guy because he doesn't pay a single € for maintenance Rolling Eyes

These people are actually the ones that judge us for our different approach to a metal frame which has four wheels, is a car and it is called Alfa Romeo.

People just don't listen to them. Another fact that I say to them is to count how many AROC are around the globe. Is this by coincidence?

Sorry for topic high-jack ... I couldn't resist it Laughing

Regards,

http://www.alfa-restoration.co.uk
Parts Shop: www.alfa-restoration.co.uk/shop
bobbber
P4

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - I agree with Gritsop's analysis of safe drivers make for safety and not the side impact bars, pretensioners and air bags etc....

I believe these additions make drivers feel safer and thus faster and more wreckless.

My father says thus - A good experiment would be to take a city and replace all the airbags in car steering wheels with giant spikes. The second you have an accident the spike comes out and cuts the driver completely in half - killing them instantly.

In this city the drivers are REAL careful - and there are NO accidents. Laughing

Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: