Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

my alfa
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maximilian
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Gary. I'm only 28, and think I'm a pretty good driver now, but when I think back to how I drove when I was 18, I shudder at the thought of what I got up to. Luckily I only had a 1.3 Fiat Uno (which was actually a bit of a screamer!) I'd probably be dead if I had a 33.

I think I really calmed down after losing the back end of my dad's 2.0 Sierra and hitting a tree.

BTW, I think the Alfa 158 is being built on a GM chassis that has RWD. So the only mainstream RWD cars you can get will be Alfas and german wankermobiles (and of course whatever else is to use this chassis, Saabs probably).

chassies(?) = floorpan in my personal language

Last edited by Maximilian on Mon Jun 09, 2003 7:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gary UK
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian drums and no servo scary!!

Wow Max I've just read your sig. 35K where did you get that gem?? Are they genuine??
Lee
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, Ian are you sure you can use the words viva and fast in the same sentence? Laughing

still I cant really p++s take I used to drive a fiat mirafiori. mmm Embarassed

Lee
James Granger
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary,

1: Every novice driver that I personally know can drive exceptionally well (including girls) and can anticipate road conditions as if they have been driving for 5 years. They have better eye-sight and faster reactions then older people for a start.

2: The 33 is a great car for cruising slowly - I have more fun doing this then going flat out. The sound of induction around 2.300 rpm on my car is truely beatiful to play with.

3: I've had my license for 1 year (in NL, 18 is the license age). On Sunday morning I drove back from a party 40 km away without using my brakes, including driving through Eindhoven (a city infamous in NL for traffic lights).

4: The amount of 30+ women I have seen doing ludicrous things in cars makes me wonder whether they should be on the road at all: far worse than beginners, who in NL are generally quite subdued.

5: I think that the chance of the 33 getting stolen and written off in a joy-ride is far greater than the Alfisti owner doing it himself (in NL the 33 is the third most stolen car). I therefore conclude that the reason behind the high insurance premium has more to do with theft than anything else.

Nothing personal, but this is what I think and it could be a totally different situation in the UK.

Theft is such a problem in the UK. I was over on business for one week and our 156 Sportwagon was almost broken into inside a secured hotel car-park. Ten other cars had their windows smashed that same night.
Maximilian
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary,

Yes it's genuine mileage. I got it last July from Alfasud man Steve Parry in Newcastle. I probably paid too much, but he had been keeping it for me for a couple of months until I'd finished some university exams, and when I took the train up to see this car I was so excited about having found such a good one - I forgot to haggle! I couldn't believe that I had found something I thought couldn't exist.

One previous lady owner. It had a very expensive looking private plate before, RHT 12. Back seats look like nobody has ever sat on them - passenger side too. Immaculate interior - only slight wear to drivers seat side-bolster and some white dog hair. Boot is completely unused - mint. Mangoletsi service history - it was even given a full service after doing 4000m in one year.

I thought that the colour sounded dodgy on the phone, 'Champagne', as I had a red, black or silver one in mind. But this colour, Champagne (Argento Bianco), is the best one I've ever seen on a Sprint.

Well, the only thing that I could see that was wrong with it was some bubbling on the rear arches and a bit of corrosion on the alloys.

I drove it for a couple of months (great fun!) and when I got back to Watford I stripped out all the interior to give it a good waxoyl, which hadn't been done before. But when I pressure hosed all the mud that was in the rear arches and had taken the rear interior side-cards out I realised that the inner-rear wheel arches were in a bad state. Also, the off-side outer sill needs replacing (I realised after taking the 1.7 sill covers off), probably inner sill needs work too.

So my lovely car has been off the road since last summer, awaiting some welding. I'm looking for advice on how/where to get this done without getting ripped off.

I'll make a post on this subject soon.
Gary UK
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shame you are in Watford otherwise I'd have done it for you. The oversill is the major welding job the new wheel arch's are just spot welded in place, it's the filling and painting that is the big job there. I'm sure if you talked cash to some small engineering firm you would get a result, epecially if you grind back to bare metal all the edges on the car where the sill would be welded and formed the sill itself (they need a bit of cutting and bending normally). Same for the arches if you do the prep yourself the bill will be alot smaller

And the car was prctically on my doorstep (I live 30miles from Newcastle) if only I'd have known.

And James sorry M8 but it's a FACT that novice drivers don't have good road sense, it's something you have to learn. But if you think that we are all naturally born good drivers fair enough, of course we are. That's why there is no difference between an Insurance premium for a 40 year old and an 18 year old silly me, my 2 year old daughter would be a good driver the instant she sit's in the driving seat, if only her feet could touch the pedals she's drive me round everywhere. Ah but no she's female Rolling Eyes (women are statistically safer drivers) so that would be no good as apparently they are worse than learners. Ho Hum as they say wisdom comes with age Confused And all your novice pal's seem to be excellent drivers to your eye's because you wouldn't notice the bad/silly things they do.

btw you should use your brakes rather than the gearbox to slow down as pads are cheap compared to syncro's.

Funnily enough brakes are actually designed to slow cars down, neat concept hey Wink most drivers once they have a bit of experience use them (it's the middle pedal by the way)
Ian M
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee
You would be surprised what you could do with a viva.
For a start you didnt have 2 tons of sound equipment in the boot...we never had aircon,abs,power steering,airbags and mine didnt have a brake servo.
The heater was an optional extra in those days.
So the power to weight ratio was probably similar to modern cars.

And you young lads that think you know it all as soon as you get your licence....let me tell you you dont!!
You may have slightly quicker reflexes and be able to fly along at great speed but where you come unstuck is impatience,driving to close to the doddering old fool like me in front of you.
No amount of reflex can help when you get that close cos you cant see anything.
There is no substitute for experience,good car control is something learnt over a period of time not when you get that bit of paper that says "you passed"
I had a few bumps when I was younger,Ive not had one for many years now and this is down to experience.
That is why I pay alot less for my isurance than you.
Believe me after years spent doing karts,hillclimbs,rallying,I have driven icenotes on the Montecarlo rally and serviced on the Swedish rally (bloody cold that one)you are never too old to learn.
I came across lots of young drivers who were blindingly quick but they never seemed to win much till they were older.
Here endeth the sermon!!!
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maximilian wrote:
TO MODERATOR Keith: Would you consider a 'featured cars' section like the one in that Novaload website? That'll be really good I think.

Hi

Probably possible, but there is already a gallery.

Not sure how much it can be improved.

Please feel free to send me pictures of your cars for the gallery (except that I am a poor deprived owner of a 56k modem, so no massive images please)

All the best

Keith
Gary UK
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith

I can wack a bit of code together so people can upload images themselves if you like. It can be moderated so u will say yes or no the image being displayed (Keeps the split beaver count down)
James Granger
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to ignore your advice and ludicrous assumptions, but I find it an interesting debate. It's true that not every novice is good (I've seen my fair share), but I know that my mates and I are exceptionally capable drivers.

My mum rates me just as well as my father and better then herself; both of them are decent drivers (my father especially with a full CV license).

My syncros will never wear down because I always double-declutch. The reason why I can drive without brakes is that I look far ahead (it's what they teach you in the SAS).

I've been handling cars since the age of five when I started by sitting on my father's lap to chuck an aging Lada around a building site. I started to drive a Rover 825 Si from the age of 15 on country lanes in France, followed by an Alfa 156 berlina, a forklift truck in Brussels (summer job) and a 7.5 ton truck in Birmingham before getting my license last year. Not to mention the fact that I've had a scooter in France since the age of 14, which taught me the basics of driving in traffic.

No hard feelings, but it is simply ridiculous to assume that all young drivers will crash. I never hang on other driver's bumpers as I know better, plus I drive nice motors which I would hate to scratch. Wink

I would love to show you the amount of impatient older drivers that I have come across during the past week: I always have these Kittens-starved shites* hugging my rear bumper as if they know better.

* A generalisation for middle-aged taxi drivers or twats who pilot Volvo V70's (normally the police). Don't be offended as I have never had a problem with a fellow Alfa driver. Yet.

Furthermore, to doss the wound with vinegar, you pay more insurance than I do!! Laughing

Last edited by James Granger on Thu Jun 12, 2003 9:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Gary UK
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mum must be right, mothers are so impartial aren't they, sorry I was so completely wrong as are the statistics. Your supreme over confidence in your abilities coupled with your SAS Rolling Eyes training mean you obviously have nothing left to learn. The only sad point is that as every day passes your driving ability will deteriorate where as normal (inferior) people improve. I too could drive a car as a kid and had a FSIE till I passed my test but I'm sooooo much of a better driver now than I was when I was 18 (I'm not talking about controlling a car) and know that I still have room to improve via experience. To rectify any weakness you must accept it's existence first.

I wouldn't dare to imply that over confidence is one of the classic reasons why inexperienced drivers tend to crash.

But many thanks for the tip I'll try and improve my driving skills by stopping using my brakes too, I'm sure that's one we'll all be trying. Could you just remind me though what this actually achieves (obviously to start with I won't be double declutching rev matching etc. Well not for the first couple of minutes till I've mastered it completely.)
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary UK wrote:
I can wack a bit of code together so people can upload images themselves if you like. It can be moderated so u will say yes or no the image being displayed (Keeps the split beaver count down)

Hi

Maybe, but it could be a good project to knock up. We already have something that does 99% of it knocked up in Perl anyway for something else (just that viewing the error logs for debugging is now a total pain)

All the best

Keith

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't mention the fact that I have nothing left to learn. Sure, after time one's driving does improve, but I am already a highly competent driver and the likelihood of me getting wrapped around a tree is below average.

Obviously, I don't always drive without brakes, only at times when it's not necessary (you can also save fuel). I find that it is important to experiment with all 'advanced' driving techniques at an early stage. As a respectful older driver you should only praise this attitude... Wink

James

PS, I didn't do SAS training, but my mum's old driving instructor was ex-SAS. Doesn't it give anybody confidence that I can drive just as safely without brakes?
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary UK wrote:
Ah but no she's female Rolling Eyes (women are statistically safer drivers) so that would be no good as apparently they are worse than learners.

Hi

Depends which statistics you use. Statistically they have less accidents, but statistically they also do alot lower mileage and have more accidents per mile. But they are also less likely to drive on motorways (the safest roads) and more likely to drive around town (some of the most dangerous roads).

Don't think there is anough info to call it either way, especially when there is upwards of 15m of each Kittens on the roads with a hell of alot of overlap in ability.

All the best

Keith
Lee
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ian, I dont tend to go for the big sterio and sub in boot idea, not really my scene, I know what you mean about rear wheel drive though, I`ve had 75s, 2 2.0 mirafioris and an old Sierra xr 4x4.
Im 27 now, so not really in the same league as boy racers, I`ve grown up a bit now, just enough to get decent insurance rates on my 164. Smile , but I`m still learning new stuff all the time and I`ve had my license nearly 10 yrs.

The 164 needs a bit of respect, LARGE amounts of understeer, and its bloody heavy especially the nose into a sharp corner, but the engine is fantastic.

Lee
james
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im only 23 and i have never had a crash. But my friend has had 3 or more and has 6 points on his licence and mine is clean. I feel i am a better driver than him as i don't always have to go flat out. Apart form the other night in a small town near me, racing a misusbish Evo 6 Tommy Hacken. Very Happy that was fun. He left me standing but he could only go so fast in town so once i got up to speed (about 60-90MHP whay to fast) i could keep up with him. These little alfa are so underestimated, then he got stuck behide a little 106 XSI so i over took them both on around about Very Happy i think i was doing 40MHP in the right hand lane turning left. But i only do this once in a blue moon and this was at 2am so there was no one about.

I would have done but i could not see any nice ones, so on the end i went for a 145 QV. Very happy with it Very Happy

But still looking for a nice cheep 33 cloverleaf.
Ian M
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh the good old xr4x4 what a car...damn difficult to drive but once you learnt its ways great fun.
i do hope the joy of RWD doesnt die out as it is so much more fun than FWD
burgo90
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

admin is there ne way i can ignore the messages from gary cos no offence gary but i think u talk aload of bollocks and i dont care wot u think ne more
Scott Sander
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

If you come across a message that you find offensive please PM Keith or myself, we can review the post and take appropriate action.

But, just because you disagree with what someone says won't count for action being taken. If you do, you may wish to take a discussion with that person off discussion group. You may have to learn to just ignore that person’s comment. These are general suggestions and not meant to be directed at anyone in particular.

Personally I would like it if people did not swear. I did mention to one person on the old board about it, as every post the person made had the f word in it. They took the hint and change their ways. Also changing the spelling of a word or using * or # etc. where it is obvious as to what the person is saying. also counts for swearing.

Anyway enough of my rant.
Gary UK
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tough luck old cheese Burgo ,you are stuck with my inane banter haha!!

Toodle pip till the next post!!
burgo90
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh lucky me
Ian M
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burgo
Like the rest of us you will soon learn to take Gary with a pinch of salt...Who knows one day you may come to know and love him as do the rest of us.
And good luck with that £50 car of yours it looks pretty good.
Is it a series1 or 2?

By the way Gary are the wheels on the bus still going round and round??
Gary UK
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not at the moment, presently it's more of a Jungle/Crocadile/row row row your boat theme.

I think this is linked to her travelling on a bus and discovering that bus drivers don't actually talk they grunt incoherently in a fat sweaty due a coronary way.
Lee
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian, it seems that rear wheel drive is now only left for the real drivers cars, its just too dangerous for novices, as although fwd is slower round corners etc its also very predictable.

Rwd needs respect, and that sierra could be a real handful, was set up as 70% rear to 30 front, so was still possible to get the tail out in the wet. Only had 150 bhp from the dinosaur pushrod v6. Give me italian any day.

And gary, did you get the 16v 33 you mentioned?

If not buy a 164 for pennies, great fun Cool

Lee
shitbmxrider
Alfa Arna

Location: pakenham...where on a quiet day you can hear my alfas rusting...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meh...ive got a 1985 33ti as my first car...and i think its great as a first car, 1: because its slow enough in a straight line to keep ya outta most trouble, 2: its handling is such that you have to be going rather hard in a 33 before your backwards into the bushes/a lightpole/tree.....

it also teaches you the virtue of patience(trying to start it in on a cold morning), gives you a crash course in auto electrics..and gives you a smile every time those twin webers clear there throats...

that said, im going to buy a rwd alfa transaxle car very soon, more than likely an 90, and chuck the ts lsd box in the back...and get ready to go v.v.sideways v.v.often
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum