Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

End Float - and does it really matter!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edward
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: End Float - and does it really matter! Reply with quote

Hi all,

I need to change the crank over in one of my engines. Does anyone know how critical it is to get the end float right from one engine to another? Can I just take the crank and end float washers from the doner engine and fit them into the existing block?

Any advice would be greatfully received.

Edward.
markgp4
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

never tried it but as with most things mechanical i would imagine there are tolerances to stay within else damage will result...
Edward
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,

I would imagine so - I remember reading recently that the end float must be .35mm. It looks pretty difficult to measure. I was sort of wondering if when swapped over they all end up being in the same range unless something is very worn?

Edward.
Corin
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont know how difficult it is, feeler guages would probably do it. End float is pretty important IMHO. When you press the clutch it tries to push the entire crank sideways, hence the use of thrust washers. Excessive endfloat will at a guess cause the crank to pull the pistons sideways in the bores? Had an engine with shot thrust washers once and when you pressed the clutch the engine almost stalled. If you have it apart anyway it's best to get it right.

Corin
Edward
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corin,

Hmmm..... I hadn't thought of feeler gauges - that is quite a good idea. I the book is shows some elaborate dial gauge on a magnetic block reading the distance whilst you lever the crank in one direction.

I think I may be paying a visit to Ebay to buy some metric feeler gauges.

Thanks for the idea.

Don't know what I am going to do if it is not .35mm!!!
Corin
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject: endfloat Reply with quote

Often the wear isnt too bad, should be within tolerance. The magnetic dial guage could probably be hired from a tool hire place, have one myself but that one is in imperial, any engine modder or decent garage should have one but would probably be loath to lend it. If the feeler thing doesnt work give me a shout and i could jiffi bag mine up and post it ya to use, when you ready to use it., if you pay postage. Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: