Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

gearbox changeover how easy?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
matt33
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: gearbox changeover how easy? Reply with quote

Hello All,
I have just got myself a complete 1993 8v turismo with low miles and a very good gearbox,the plan is to put the gearbox on my 1994 16v,i have read on here in the past topics that this can be done,but any more help and advice would be greatly appreciated as im a bit cautious into starting all this and not being able to finish it or messing it up all together!,,also if anyone wants any bits off the 8v feel free to ask,the car is complete,in red, the body is rough but it is solid,its been standing for over 2 years put some fresh petrol in and it started on the 3rd attempt,no smoke or rattles, couldnt believe it!or if any one wants to swap any bits for a 16v gearbox?
im in wolverhampton.,,,,cheers matt
john 33_16v
16 Valve

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I'd take out the engine and gbox as one lump, and split them on the floor.

Whilst its apart change the clutch and clutch slave.

See http://www.alfisti.co.uk/BoxerA-Z.htm#engout for very brief guide. It takes time but there is nothing too nasty involved. Worth getting/ making a strong trolley to pull the engine/gbox out from under the car.

John
08 Fiat Grande Punto Exotica Red
90 Yamaha FZR600 Genesis- Silky white/red/blue
stedee
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello matt
i`ve just moved from wolves- lived there all my life until a few months ago, i used to have a gearbox but not any more, you should find one easy and cheap enough though.
you can either drop the lot or undo the mounting at the back of the engine and the mount underneath where the back of the gearbox mounts onto the floor and the gearbox will then hang down, undo the driveshafts with allen keys then undo the gearbox bolts including removing the starter motor, you might have a problem with clearance with the steering rack so beware, i could dropa gearbox in about 1.5 hours but i have had practise with quite a few 33s
i`m coming to wolves monday to wednesday to finish off my 33 p4 ready for the mot so if you are around i could show you some pointers.
matt33
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Stedee,

Fantastic! Nice one,I have pm'd you

Cheers
Matt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: