Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

noisy fuel pump

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZeNiTh-PbArM
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 11:29 am    Post subject: noisy fuel pump Reply with quote

hi!

my fuel pump (33 1.3ie) is getting noisy ; as soon as the tank gets a little low on fuel, a continuous whine occurs. the electric pump has been replaced not very long ago by another one bought from alfa romeo.
i suspect a problem coming from a fuel pipe in the tank : clogged sock filter, air duct? ; i want to correct it since topping up the fuel level every 100kms isn't very fun.
but i didn't find any "hole" in the trunk to have access to the tank ; do i have to drain the fuel, and drop the tank to get access to the fuel sender and pipes?

thanks for any advice

regards
zp
Ketil-no
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to take down the fuel tank to get access. The pump suck petrol from the top of the tank.
To get the fuel out of the tank you have to take of the big rubber bend on the left side of thank (fuel inlet). It's easy to do if you have no petrol in the tank...

A little history:
I had to take down the rear suspension unit on a Merc 190E I once had. And to take that down I had to loose a 1/2 inch feed pipe to the petrolpump (from the tank in the boot). The tank was half full. I didn't think. I got petrol all over me (even inside my ear). My garage was filled. I had a 150W lamp glowing beside me...
I know I am lucky to be alive....

It's fun to work with petrol!

Ketil[/b]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you don't have to drop the tank, which is a horrible job!

On the series 1 Alfa 33 with mechanical fuel pump, you can agin access to the fuel supply line and the fuel level sensor by taking out the bottom cushion of the rear seat. Under the seat you may see a circular outline under the sound proofing bitumen felt - just cut around the circle , peel away the felt and you should be able to remove a couple of screws holding down the access cover. It's a lot less messy than removing the tank.

Cheers,

Rob (Perth)
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: