Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

145 gear box

View previous topic :: View next topic  
baldy
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: 145 gear box Reply with quote

I just wanted to confirm that the gearbox will fit a 33 or late sprint like my own,and you get the nice finned sump for cooling too. its the best box ive ever had in a boxer car.slight mod needed but easy if you own hacksaw welder and angle grinder. Very Happy
ZeNiTh-PbArM
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uh-oh, not sure it's the best idea you can get since 145 boxes have different syncromesh assy (laycock) from sud and 33 boxes (porsche) and them synchroes break sooner or later due to poor engineering quality. I remember changing 145 boxes still under warranty, on cars that displayed less than 30 000 kms on the clock. This would never have happened on 33 boxes, the synchroes wear and gear crunch, but never leave you stranded.
regards,
zp
baldy
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: 145 gear box Reply with quote

Hi Z.P.

I personally believe, after owning, seven boxer engine cars, that if your brutal and forceful with the gearbox, before its warmed up, then there probably will be damage. Syncro rings in the 146 are harder and have less temper in the steel, thats why they can break if forced. The suds were softer, and as you said, do not break just wear out. Its a case of common sence and a lot depends on how you treat your gearbox when cold. Anyone who enjoys driving boxer powered cars knows how important a clean gear change should be.

Thanks Lee
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: