Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Performance

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Performance Reply with quote

Hi

For a while I have had a Driftbox. Basically a high accuracy GPS unit (with a built in G meter as well), designed for performance testing and drift scoring.

Had it in the P4 today and decided to play silly b's and let the clutch have a bit of abuse. It managed to hit 60 in 8.9 seconds, although how much I could improve on that I am not sure. About a second better than the 155 manages (although the 155 lands up with a lot more of a nasty smell from trying).

All the best

Keith
john 33_16v
16 Valve

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good going. What's the 'brochure' 0-60 of the P4? Can't be far off.

John
08 Fiat Grande Punto Exotica Red
90 Yamaha FZR600 Genesis- Silky white/red/blue
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

"Autocar & Motor" managed it in 8.6 seconds. But they don't have to pay for clutches. Think Alfa claimed about 8 seconds.

All the best

Keith
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Graphs of the run playing silly buggers.

Against distance.

Against time.

All the best

Keith
bobbber
P4

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's some cerrtainly "in depth" measurements there Keith!

What gets me going are those who say "my Japanese crock o' unstylish XXXX" gets to 60 in 7 seconds when they're looking at the speedo (usually 10ish% short). So that is probably 54mph... and actually most tests these days are to 100kph which is 62 so they're probably 8mph short.

So - this is a nice scientific blast by contrast.

The dip in the graph is where Keith quickly paused to have a rapid sandwich! Laughing

8.9 seconds. What would be the expected result if chipped, intaked, exhausted (?!?!?!!) and mildly cammed? Anyone know?

Bob
paulhide
P4

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reckon we all need one of these driftboxes to check our cars out. How much are they Keith? I wnt one for Christmas!
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobbber wrote:
What gets me going are those who say "my Japanese crock o' unstylish XXXX" gets to 60 in 7 seconds when they're looking at the speedo (usually 10ish% short). So that is probably 54mph... and actually most tests these days are to 100kph which is 62 so they're probably 8mph short.

On top speed runs on the bike I found that the final mark on the speedo (170mph and bang on the red line in top on stock gearing) was 154.5mph. Best I have managed is 181.8mph (through timing lights, unfaired 1200 Bandit but somewhat played with) and at that the speedo needle was pointing down towards where 200mph would be if the markings went that high.

Suspect the speedo on my little RS125 is even further out. 33 speedo seems to be within 10%, unlike the 155 that is miles out at 30mph (but gets more accurate with speed).

bobbber wrote:
The dip in the graph is where Keith quickly paused to have a rapid sandwich! Laughing

You crazy? Eat a sandwich that quickly. I had to drop it while changing gear.

bobbber wrote:
8.9 seconds. What would be the expected result if chipped, intaked, exhausted (?!?!?!!) and mildly cammed? Anyone know?

Err, first result would probably be a new clutch being required.

You are not that far from me. Wander over some time (or I will wander over) and we can try it out.

paulhide wrote:
Reckon we all need one of these driftboxes to check our cars out. How much are they Keith? I wnt one for Christmas!

They are £465, although they do a cheaper one called a Performance Box for about £300 that doesn't include the G meter that the Driftbox has. It is a 10hz GPS unit, and has various displays. I tend to leave it in performance mode so it is showing current speed, max speed since you last stopped and last acceleration figures (0-60 and standing quarter).

http://www.driftbox.com/

All the best

Keith
john 33_16v
16 Valve

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know someone who has the Max recorded speed on their Garmin at over 500mph.

They would have upset BA Baracus, because they switched it on 'on a plane, fool!!'' Not big or clever.

John
08 Fiat Grande Punto Exotica Red
90 Yamaha FZR600 Genesis- Silky white/red/blue
icky
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now to Hijack Keiths Thread..

The UHF Radio in my work Ute has a GPS feature, The Max Speed now shows 387kmph, Which I got up to in car park. Not bad for 2 tonne 4WD Trayback. Shocked

Gotta Love technology...

Keith,
Is there any way of mapping when the gear changes are?

Cheers

1988 33 1.5 S 8V
ZeNiTh-PbArM
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, i experienced a while ago a GPS-less solution! the principle of it is quite simple :
- make a current clamp by winding 10 turns of electrical wire around one spark plug wire
- connect this to the line input of a laptop's soundcard
- collect information about the car such as gear ratios, tyres, weight, ambient temperature, aerodynamics coefficient ; these are used to feed a smart software program
- find a flat & straight road and drive from idle to the redline in 2nd or 3rd gear
the software records how fast the engine revs increases, and deduces torque and power curves for the engine.
At first i didn't think it would work but tried it on my 1.3 33 and guess what? after the test the computer gave me a max power of 90bhp, in accordance with manufacturer's specs.
I've since tried it on a few cars and always enjoyed it. Unfortunately the required software (
http://www.powerdyn.fr/English/english.html) isn't free any more, but still cheaper than a GPS unit i think. Results are highly accurate and can be trusted, it's very useful on a car you modify, to know exactly what increase in performance you get from each of the mods.

regards,
zp
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

On the unit I have you cannot map things like gear changes accuratly. They do the "V-Box Mini" which has provisions for external inputs such as a rev counter feed, but that is about 3 times the price.

The Driftbox does has a provision for calculating the max power from the acceleration figures (and can display it on screen) but the people who make the unit are not really supportive of that being accurate. After all there are too many other variables (such as tyre slip and clutch slip), and it requires an accurate figure for drag coefficient and for weight. Then you have to realise that max power might only be over a VERY narrow band (for example on a bike we have, between 9000 and 10000rpm the power increases from just under 18hp to 25hp, about a 40% increase in 1000rpm).

Also you are comparing the figures it gives to the brochure figures. Brochure figures are crank figures and a lot higher than the true figure at the wheel (which is meaningful). A 1.7 16V P4 has a claimed 137hp at the crank, but having seen one dynoed years ago it was under 90hp at the wheels.

All the best

Keith
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum