Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

help 33 cl 2 veloce head gasket

View previous topic :: View next topic  
logic31121982
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:20 pm    Post subject: help 33 cl 2 veloce head gasket Reply with quote

Hi ive had this car for years and checked the oil the other day and it was a bit low bit strange for my old girl doesnt usually have a drinking problem.
To cut a long story short i opened the oil chamber up to find she was frothing i am losing a little water but nothing un toward. no smoke coming from the exhaust completly clear and not over heating at all.
She still pulls like a train even better now theres oil in it.
I phoned a mechanic straight away and he asked if its been standing which it has on and off over the winter and i also cleaned the k and n and put it in damp not fully dry. could it be condensation.
Has any one got any thoughts on his please it has had a compression check recently and to find all cylinders or whatever they are to be fine and its was the carbs on this occassion.
If it is the gasket im taking it can be fixed and at roughly what cost please.
paulhide
P4

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a head gasket has gone and water is getting into the oil (and therefore also oil into the water) I think you could test for this by testing for hydrocarbons in the header tank with an emissions probe?? Well that's what a mechanic told me a few years ago.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there dosnt seem to be any oil in the water as is would not only make it black it would sit on the top of the water and its clean.
paulhide
P4

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say 'oil chamber' do you mean the filler tube? Condensation is very common here.
Hydrocarbon test at header tank would be for first signs of Head Gasket failure.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes the oil filler chamber has yellow foam in it and quite a bit of it to be fair i havnt looked at it for a long time unfortunatly as it was garaged underground over most of the winter only out during good days as i own a v70r volvo as well and being 4 wheel drive can cope with the slipery stuff, when i first started it after the cold there was alot of condensation coming out of the exhaust but now its completly clear but she stands for a few weeks on end im affraid to loose her any sugestions in the hertforshire area who will look at it. and if i would benifit from a oil change and an engine flush first before going for the full head as the car still drves perfect no overheating ive just had it on the moterway today for 45mins at 70mph slghtly more lol and no probs
paulhide
P4

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both my carbed 33s have always created a bit of an emulsion in the tube across the winter for years with no other problems. I just clean all the muck out with a cloth around a long screwdriver and do regular oil changes.
johnboy
16 Valve

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your engines fine chap! Just clean it out like Paul says Wink

Alfa gt jtdm blackline
1990 S2 16v veloce sleeping!
2002 ts gtv the wifes now
1997 seadoo gsx 800
1999 freestyle superjet
lee16v
16 Valve

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do short journeys and create loads of this stuff. I clean it out regularly and have no head gaskets problems. Drive on chap!
logic31121982
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you all very much for this i read the statements at my lunch time and on the way home was able to carry on driving how this car should be driven ie eating the absolute do das of an E reg mint escourt without breaking the speed limit of course.
Also without having to worry that im going to leave a huge plume of white smoke behind me and me losing my pride and joy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum