Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Universal Lambda Sensor.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eagle3
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:58 am    Post subject: Universal Lambda Sensor. Reply with quote

My '94 33 1.4/1.3 i.e.(90bhp) has 93,000km on the clock, has had its cat replaced and the injectors cleaned. Also new plugs, fuel filter, air filter, thermostat. Generally it runs great when hot but there are a few hiccups before it gets to the correct temperature. So I thought I might try changing the lamda sensor and bought one of these universal sensors on fleabay http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=230146302808&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=013

I'm not sure if it was a good idea but Alfa quoted €200 for the complete unit with cable. You need to cut the wires with this one.

The original three wires are red, black and white whereas this one has two whites and a black. I would imagine you connect the black to the black, the white to one of the whites and the red to the remaining white. I'm assuming the white ones are the heater wires and are not polarity-dependent. Not sure though.

Maybe I should test the original before I think about changing it but I don't know how you do that. I've read that you can do it with a voltmeter which I have.

Last edited by eagle3 on Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:34 am; edited 1 time in total
lee16v
16 Valve

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original wires are black and two whites so I guess your sensor you have at the moment is an imposter! And you are correct, the two whites are heater wires and the block connection on the original one only allows one way connection. (although I'm not entirely sure they must be connected one way or if the two whites function the same)
RFlower
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your 1.3 should have the I.A.W. injection system, which uses a different probe from other engines. The colours black, white, red are correct for the I.A.W. probe.

I don't think the probes are interchangeable, as the internal connections are shown as being different on the wiring diagrams.

Diagrams are here www.alfaromeo33.extra.hu/
Dick Flower, Nr. Carcassonne. '94 Trofeo 1.4 ie (F), '93 Imola 1.3/1.4 ie (now for breaking) (F), '91 1.7 ie (GB)(spare car), '86 Sprint 1.5 QV (F). '87 VW Syncro camper (F), '73 NSU Ro80 (F), '99 Fiat Seicento (F)
eagle3
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That doesn't sound good. Sad

The sensor probe on this new does seem to be a bit bigger than the original from what I can remember. I don't want to take the original off if they're not compatible.

Another smart fleabay purchase!

Rolling Eyes
RFlower
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't notice before that you are in France.

I just checked Oscaro http://www.oscaro.com/ for lambda sensor prices.

They are a bit cheaper than your price from Alfa, but I am confused as to the difference between sensors for different injection systems.

They offer sensors from a selection of makers for each Alfa model.

Comparing those listed for the 1.4 ie 90cv, which should have the I.A.W. system, and for the 1.7 ie 105cv, which should have the LE3 Jetronic system, some of the makers' sensor part no's are the same for both cars, while others are different. There is also a "Universal" sensor.

It is possible that Alfa used different systems on French cars from those for the same UK models, or that sensors can be interchanged if the correct connections are made, or even that Oscaro have them listed wrongly.

I'm sure there is someone here more knowledgeable than I am on this subject who can give you the right information.

Richard
Dick Flower, Nr. Carcassonne. '94 Trofeo 1.4 ie (F), '93 Imola 1.3/1.4 ie (now for breaking) (F), '91 1.7 ie (GB)(spare car), '86 Sprint 1.5 QV (F). '87 VW Syncro camper (F), '73 NSU Ro80 (F), '99 Fiat Seicento (F)
eagle3
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks like the one that's on there at the moment which I'm sure is the original http://www.oscaro.com/fiche.asp?ID_OSC_LEVELS=1698&ID_OSC_TYPES=197&ID_GENERIC_ARTICLES=485&ID_ARTICLES=371068

According to the list on the ebay advert it's compatible so when I get time I'll compare them.
eagle3
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having removed the original I decided to bite the bullet, cut the wires on the old one and changed them over connecting the black to the black and the whites to the red and white. The universal one came with crimp connectors and heat-shrink insulators and I taped the red (+) heater wire just to be on the safe side.

The engine fired up fine and seems to run a bit freer now. Also tickover engine speed when hot has dropped to about 950rpm(according to rev counter) from about 1025rpm.
ZeNiTh-PbArM
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, oem sensors for marelli system are japanese NTK sensors (expensive). Trying cheap replacement sensors, or even second-hand BOSCH ones is the wrong way to go : at best they last for 6 months, at worst they don't work at all and will fry the cat. I strongly advise you to buy the NTK one, as the lifetime is much longer (mine lasted 450 000 kms before it gave up, replaced it with oem sensor, has 250 000kms and still operating perfectly)
regards,
zp
eagle3
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. The cat is a cheapo jobby too! Very Happy This is the one I bought http://www.katdirekt.com/cgi-bin/katalysator.pl?dsco=25&site=details/details_AR8002-and-KIT171.html&artikel=1|AR8002%20and%20KIT171&hersteller=ALFA%20ROMEO&fahrzeug=33&fahrzeug2=14ie&bereich=suche&fahrzeug_name=33&fahrzeugmotor_name=1.4+ie
which I can't recommend as it's a very poor fit with a walker silencer. 3/4" short.

When I win the lotto I'll put a proper sensor on and get a decent cat. I can't justify it at the moment.

I do about 8000km a year with it and if it lasts till the next controle technique(september 2009) I'll be happy. If it starts playing up I'll know what to do. Thanks for the tip!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: