Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

missing

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jas
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 7:54 am    Post subject: missing Reply with quote

Ok, here's my last attempt.
Does ANYONE have any idea about what might cause missing at low temps? I usually experience it only on cold starts and hear a sort of sip sip from the carbs. I figure it's just usual cold start routine. but it seems worse. it even happens after the cars been run, then allowed to cool for a few hours. not often though
I'm wondering if some kind of valve anomaly would cause this. It would seem to me that it will miss untill everything is up to running temp tolerances. lots of popping on overun. seems more than usual.
I can't figure it out. plugs are an exellent colour, car has plenty of power.
electrical? hmmm
burgo90
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wouldnt worry bout it mine misses wen its cold as well im bout to give mine a service and get it set up if this helps ill let u kno
Sergio
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Have you checked the ignition leads?

All the best

Sérgio
burgo90
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jas wot are those air filters in the pic as ur avatar who makes em as i want some
Jas
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 7:23 am    Post subject: K&N Reply with quote

those are custom K&N filters. I've just modified the base plate with some stainless and a tig to fit the way the old panel filter ends did. The original alloy ram tubes are great. I just took to them with a dremel and polished all the casting marks out. smoothed the flow a bit. not too shiney
burgo90
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats wot ive done but mine are like a mirror finish there gr8
Jas
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 1:08 am    Post subject: too shiney? Reply with quote

By polishing the inside of the air manifold the breathing efficiency can be increased by reducing surface friction on the inner surface. That, and polishing the inlet ports of the block are probably the most effective and simplest ways to improve a cars performance without getting into turbo charging. Likewise with the exhaust ports. Ensure that all ducts are clean and smooth (not necessarily highly polished), minimise changes of cross section and definitely no sudden changes of section or direction.
It's always been my understanding that air inlet manifold should not be polished to a mirror finish. Although the air flow is more linear, some turbulence is beneficial.
burgo90
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i kno how to modify a head m8 and these arnt actually the inlet manifolds these are just air intakes so thereofre bein as it is only air going threw these they can b polished its wen u polish the inlet ports and manifolds which actually the twin carb cars dont have u start havin trouble as a polished surface makes the fuel drop out of the mixture and with no fuel no bang but as u say exhaust ones can b polished for better flow ive bin told that smoothest u wanna go on inlet ports is smoothin with 80 grit emmery cloth
Jas
Alfasud

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 7:41 am    Post subject: yep Reply with quote

I'm sure you know what your doing with your head.
My mistake. I just copied and pasted something i wrote relating to manifolds, port and polishing. and yes..laminar, not linear.
Mirror is good. you might want to pump that tyre up though. Embarassed
burgo90
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol i kno i got four new tyres going on it as a prezzie from me dad
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum