Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

motronics ML 4.1 question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigAl
P4

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:07 pm    Post subject: motronics ML 4.1 question Reply with quote

Hey guys, i have kinda asked this question in one of my other threads but thought i'd start a new one so it doesnt get missed.

does anyone know at what temperature the motronics ML 4.1 system in my 16v 33 running with no lambda correction, switches away from engine cold fueling?

I ask as i have a stuck open thermostat and after ordering one and them getting the wrong part and then asking another place to put one aside for me and then selling it, i am not having much luck in finding one, i am waiting for a new order to come in now.
The engine temp sits at around 60 ish on long runs due to the cold weather and my MPG has shot down because of this, hence my question.

Will the same cold fueling be used if i were to run with lambda correction? I need to buy a new lambda but dont want to fit it if it would be damaged from constant over fueling.
What resistor value do i need to replace the CTS, after i have got the engine warm a little?

Hope that makes sence, thanks
Alan
bobbber
P4

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al,

As long as the engine is running, be it rich or lean or perfect mixture, it should run at 90 degrees or whatever the standard running temperature is. You cannot AFAIK, adjust the fueling to change the running temperature greatly.

You ALWAYS get low mpg on a cold running engine, due to higher friction.

You DEFINATELY need a new thermostat - one of the problems of using a "stuck open" one is the additional engine wear.

Bob
BigAl
P4

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey bobbber, yer I know I need a new thermostat Crying or Very sad I have been trying to get one Rolling Eyes but until then I cant do anything about the engine temp.
AFAIK there are maps stored in the ECU and according to the CTS the ECU either ups the fuelling, acting as the choke, or uses different maps with more feeling. Once the engine gets to a certain temp the CTS tells the ECU to either use a warm/hot engine map or a warm engine fuelling.
What I don’t know is if when running a lambda sensor if anything changes. Does the cold fuelling, acting as a choke, get overridden by the lambda sensor? If not I didn’t want to risk damaging a new lambda sensor if I can’t correct the fuelling, with a resistor telling the ECU that the engine is warm.
When I eventually get my thermostat then no problem.

There is a thing you can get that changes the CTS/AT telling the ECU that the engine/air is cooler and so ups the fuelling, i want to do the oposite

Multimeter set to 20 kOhm, should get

-10C = 9 kOhm
0C = 6 kOhm
+10C = 3.8 kOhm
+15C = 3 kOhm
+20C = 2.5 kOhm
+25C = 2.1 kOhm
+30C = 1.7 kOhm
+40C = 1.2 KOhm
+60C = 600 Ohm
+80C = 330 Ohm

i guess i could just use the normal running temp value for 80C, 330 Ohm, but thought it would be better to run at a temp where it just switches over from cold running to normal running
paulhide
P4

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thermostats I've got are set to open up at 86 degrees centigrade.
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Would expect it to base running on the lambda sensor when its feedback starts to make sense (when it warms up) rather than just base it on engine temp.

All the best

Keith
BigAl
P4

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey keith, wouldn't that then cancle out the "choke" effect of cold fuelling and cause stalling, or would that be done by the idle valve?
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Good point, although it might want a richer mixture feedback from the lambda probe until the engine is up to temp.

Many cars use heated lambda probes to get them up to temp quickly. Seems pointless if they are going to be ignored for 10 minutes because the engine is cold.

All the best

Keith
BigAl
P4

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keith
thats what i thought, i picked up my new lambda sensor today and asked if i should put it in now or wait until i have my new thermostat fitted and they said wait until you fit the thermostat and have i checked my CTS, "yes"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum