Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Starter issue

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr A. 33 1.5IE
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:17 am    Post subject: Starter issue Reply with quote

Dear alfistas,

I have been facing an issue about my starter motor. Every morning the car starts alright but there times that in cold weather the car might die after a few seconds of running cold and then I have to restart t. Most of the times that's ok but it happened a few times so far that on a second attempt to start the car, I can hear the solenoid spinning but not engaging the flywheel. This can go on for a number of attempts and usually I have to wait for 10-15mins in order to try starting the car again. The same issue has occured and with the car properly warmed up and driven for a number of miles, so I pressume is not just the early morning situation that might be at fault.

My mechanic's efforts so far was to check if the starter motor runs straight from the battery which it does (the wire trick from the battery to the starter) so as to exclude the motor at fault. Then We have replaced the ignition switch and I am carrying an extra which when the problem occurs I have connected this one to the plug to just find out that the switch is not the problem.

So that only thing left is the starter motor itself. What should I do? Does a relay to boost the power going to the starter might save me from this trouble?

Thanks in advance
eagle3
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I can hear the solenoid spinning but not engaging the flywheel

Sounds like you're missing a tooth on the flywheel. You can look through the timing window at the top rear of the engine and check the teeth. I think! Very Happy
Oggie
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently helped a friend out fitting a starter to his wife's Punto, it suffered similar symptoms when I removed the motor the teeth on it were half worn out ( the width was half-ed) anyway eventually the starter would not engage so a replacement was fitted, that reminds me he owes me a curry for the trouble. the starter on the 33 is quite easy to remove as its on the top of the engine, remove air filter and wiring from the back of the starter then 2 bolts and a bit of twisting and its out. Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum