Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

All Sorts of Work
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alfa Racer
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:43 pm    Post subject: Petrol Tank Update Reply with quote

Oggie wrote:
I have got rid of the loose rust, most of the tank came up as shiny clean metal, Hamerite does say its ok to use on rust but I was very thorough to remove as much as possible, anyway Im going to apply a second coat and the a top coat of stone chip paint, if the tank shows signs of chipping i will notice it due to painting it blue not black Wink

Oggie, what a ball aching job grinding a petrol tank down is! I went out again this evening for an hour or so and put some more pressure on the wire brush and yes in some places I can clean down to shiny metal but it would take me hours and hours and some of it just won't shift. I haven't had the chance to get a smaller brush so there are some areas I can't get to at the moment, but I've gone ahead an ordered the POR 15 Marine Clean, Metal Ready, Tank Sealer and Tank Paint. I will do a bit more grinding but then I'm going to put the Metal Ready on it which is a rust converter, so Holden say, that should be the end of the rust!

I'm also going to change the fuel lines coming off the tank and swap the attachement clips for something I can actually get off should I ever need to in the future!
Alfa Racer
Alfasud

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:39 am    Post subject: POR 15 has arrived! Reply with quote

Well the Marine Clean, Metal Ready, Tank Sealer & Rust Preventative paint has just arrived so I get that tank finished!
RFlower
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Timing Belt Kits Reply with quote

Alfa Racer wrote:
Does anyone know where I can get a timing belt kit for a 94 1.7 IE 8v. I went to my local parts house, they want just over a £100, the kit only includes 2 belts and tensioner pulleys, seems expensive.

Both 98 (solid tappet) and 100 (hydraulic) tooth belts are available for about 10€ per belt in France, from http://www.oscaro.com/

Complete kit (belts and tensioners) is about 100€
Dick Flower, Nr. Carcassonne. '94 Trofeo 1.4 ie (F), '93 Imola 1.3/1.4 ie (now for breaking) (F), '91 1.7 ie (GB)(spare car), '86 Sprint 1.5 QV (F). '87 VW Syncro camper (F), '73 NSU Ro80 (F), '99 Fiat Seicento (F)
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Seems to be a fairly recent thing to change the tensioners with the belts each time.

Mechanical tappets were replaced with hydraulic ones in the late 80s (my F reg sportwagon had hydraulic tappets). Eacy way to tell is to look at the heads. Of you have a cover (~10" x 3") sitting at about 45 degrees held on with a few small bolts then you have either bucket and shim valve adjustment of the old Sud style screw adjustment, otherwise you have hydraulic tappets.

All the best

Keith
Alfa Racer
Alfasud

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:55 pm    Post subject: Outside of tank painted Reply with quote

Well progress has been slow, when is anything when it comes to working on cars!

Anyway the outside of the petrol tank has had as much of the rust ground away as I had patience for, after which I cleaned it with POR 15 Marine Clean and then POR 15 Metal Ready finishing if off with POR 15 Rust Preventative paint, if it ever rusts again I'll be very annoyed!

I still have the inside to do as I want to coat it with POR 15 tank sealer just in case there are any pin holes etc. I did the outside first for no better reason than it annoyed me the flaking rust and grime, everytime I had to move it I had gunk all over me, which I knew would be difficult to kept from getting into the tank once I'd opened it.

Anyway while the tank was drying I began work on the front suspension and within seconds I'd managed to strip the nut on the tie rod end Sad how annoying is that, now it's going to be a real bugger to get out not to mention I've also got purchase a new one! Which of course will also knacker the tracking, anyway I've talked myself into thinking at 16 years old it probably needed changing anyway (probably didn't though).
Alfa Racer
Alfasud

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject: Some luck with the Tie Rod Reply with quote

Not one to just give up I tried that tie rod end nut again, still stripped, but by putting on a closed end wrench and pushing down at an angle while turning it provided just enough bite to get it onto a thread and its come off. Very Happy

So I put my new ball joint separator on and guess what the throat is fine but the 35mm jaw opening is about 3 - 5 mm too narrow. Sad

How annoying is that! I've also got a fork one, I don't like to use it if it can be avoided as it's quite destructive and don't want to accidently damage the arm the tie road slots into. As the tie rod itself now needs to be changed I had a go as one does when frustrated with these things, hammered away and the thing just won't budge, so I'm going to have to order yet another ball seperator this time one with a 40mm span just to be sure. Why Alfa had to use such a long bolt is beyond me! Anyway I'll probably have another go with the fork but definitely will order the new one to use on the other side!
Alfa Racer
Alfasud

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:27 am    Post subject: Still battling with Tie Rod End Reply with quote

Well I had another go at the tie rod end

but it just won't budge, I don't want to over do it because this is a very rare 3 bolt strut and if the arm gets damaged it could be difficult if not impossible to find an new one. I rang around to try and find one because the existing one is quite rusty, and none of the usual suspects had one, so this one will need to be cleaned up and POR 15 treated, oh boy can wait for that fun!

Anyway I've order another ball joint separator with a 50mm opening so that should see it tie rod end off which I will then replace, as I've knackered the threads on the retaining bolt.

So in the meantime I've turned to servicing the engine, oil, filter, timing belts, water pump etc. and discovered a pipe missing any ideas what it does, is it needed, see circled below?

Alfa Racer
Alfasud

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:13 pm    Post subject: Finally Removed Tie Rod End Reply with quote

Well the new ball joint separator arrived today, and I put it to work on the stubborn OS tie rod end. The amount of pressure required was considerable in the end I stopped to reconsider if it would ever come off and it just finally released on its own! Smile

Also went to collect some new fuel line hoses ready to reinstall the tank once I've sealed the inside of it.
RFlower
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When using your screw type joint separator, I hope you apply a sharp tap with a hammer to the bolt end of the joint now and again, rather than just applying force to the screw?

Also, if the jaws are not wide enough, you could cut a bit off the bolt if you're not reusing it.
Dick Flower, Nr. Carcassonne. '94 Trofeo 1.4 ie (F), '93 Imola 1.3/1.4 ie (now for breaking) (F), '91 1.7 ie (GB)(spare car), '86 Sprint 1.5 QV (F). '87 VW Syncro camper (F), '73 NSU Ro80 (F), '99 Fiat Seicento (F)
RFlower
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re. the small pipe connections, they don't exist on my '91 1.7 ie (Jetronic). There is a pipe for the fuel pressure regulator on the back of the manifold, and one for the vacuum advance on the throttle body.

My 1.3/1.4's (Marelli IAW) have the pipe with the black plastic elbow, which goes to the Absolute Pressure Sensor (on the right side of the bulkhead).
The other position, to the right of the elbow, looking from the front, has a place for a fitting to be drilled, but it is blank.
RFlower
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an adjustable balljoint splitter, fitted every one I've ever removed.
You can adjust the jaws to be parallel for maximum force and effect,
(Bought in Spain)

[img][/img]
bobbber
P4

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RFlower wrote:
When using your screw type joint separator, I hope you apply a sharp tap with a hammer to the bolt end of the joint now and again, rather than just applying force to the screw?

Also, if the jaws are not wide enough, you could cut a bit off the bolt if you're not reusing it.

This is interesting point Dick and reminds me of a question I've wanted to know the answer to for ages. I've always cut the end of the bolt off and because this isn't enough to cut into the thread, I reuse them.

The question is... why do these bolts have the extra non-threaded part anyway?

Sorry to hijack the thread!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
RFlower
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine have a 6mm square extension on the bolt, to fit a spanner to prevent its turning when tightening or replacing the nut.

If yours have an extra non threaded end this is probably for the same reason, could be held with pliers etc.
bobbber
P4

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RFlower wrote:
Mine have a 6mm square extension on the bolt, to fit a spanner to prevent its turning when tightening or replacing the nut.

If yours have an extra non threaded end this is probably for the same reason, could be held with pliers etc.

Doh... I must be getting stoopid in my old age! Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
bobbber
P4

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Still battling with Tie Rod End Reply with quote

Alfa Racer wrote:
So in the meantime I've turned to servicing the engine, oil, filter, timing belts, water pump etc. and discovered a pipe missing any ideas what it does, is it needed, see circled below?

This pipe goes to the top of the fuel pressure regulator.

B
Alfa Racer
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RFlower wrote:
Re. the small pipe connections, they don't exist on my '91 1.7 ie (Jetronic). There is a pipe for the fuel pressure regulator on the back of the manifold, and one for the vacuum advance on the throttle body.

My 1.3/1.4's (Marelli IAW) have the pipe with the black plastic elbow, which goes to the Absolute Pressure Sensor (on the right side of the bulkhead).
The other position, to the right of the elbow, looking from the front, has a place for a fitting to be drilled, but it is blank.

So are you thinking I may have a 1.3/1/4 engine in the car rather than the 1.7 IE 8v is was suppose to have? I'm about to order a timing belt kit etc. so will be useful to identify what's in the car ASAP!
Alfa Racer
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RFlower wrote:

With my other attempts yes, as I was easily able to hit the bottom of the bolt, but with the new separator I couldn't, leaving it for a minute looks like it achieve the same result as a sharp tap, well it seperated it at least!
Alfa Racer
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RFlower wrote:
Here's an adjustable balljoint splitter, fitted every one I've ever removed.
You can adjust the jaws to be parallel for maximum force and effect,
(Bought in Spain)

[img][/img]

This is what I've now bought, jaws open to a max of 50mm. Now I have 3 different separators so should be ready for anything!
Alfa Racer
Alfasud

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Still battling with Tie Rod End Reply with quote

bobbber wrote:
Alfa Racer wrote:

This pipe goes to the top of the fuel pressure regulator.

B

Bobbber thanks for this and the manual, looks like I need to get a new pipe!
RFlower
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alfa Racer wrote:

So are you thinking I may have a 1.3/1/4 engine in the car rather than the 1.7 IE 8v is was suppose to have? I'm about to order a timing belt kit etc. so will be useful to identify what's in the car ASAP!

No, I was thinking the later 1.7 ie could have used a the inlet manifold used on the smaller engine they were selling in Europe at the end of the 33's production, I think 1994, and/or a different management system, possibly Marelli.

Anyway, I don't think the 1.3 / 1.4 was marketed in UK, and as far as i know, the timing belt is the same on all 8 valve engines with hydraulic lifters.

To determine if the engine is the original you can check the engine number on the block corresponds to the number on the VIN plate.

If it is different, I think there is a list of engine codes in one of the online manuals you have.

I was surprised your 33 is 1994, I didn't know there were any 1.7's made in that year.

I was living in Mallorca in 1994. The Alfa dealer had special offers on Imolas (1.4), of which he seemed to have quite a large stock. It seems these were from the last production run of 33's, and Mallorca was a good place to sell them. The people there certainly like a bargain, and possibly are not so aware of the markets in mainland Spain/Europe.

Alfa did a similar thing when the Sprint production ended, so there were an extraordinary number of Sprints in Mallorca. I often saw them on the road after we bought ours, but we saw almost none, even in Italy, away from the Island.

Maybe Mallorca is a good place to unload end-of-run cars. They also sold a disproportionate number of Rovers there at very reduced pices around the time the company went out of business!

Dick

Last edited by RFlower on Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:41 am; edited 1 time in total
RFlower
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just looked at Alfa Info (top of page) > Fuel Injection.

It seems late 1.7's used Bosch MP3.1 system with a MAP sensor, so as Bobbber says, the missing pipe is for the fuel pressure regulator, if that's where his goes to, and the one with the plastic elbow should go to the MAP sensor as it does on my 1.3/1.4's.
paulhide
P4

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got 14 out of 120, 1.7s (IE and 16v) on my list registered in 94.
RFlower
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulhide wrote:
I've got 14 out of 120, 1.7s (IE and 16v) on my list registered in 94.

That's 106 from 1990 to '93. Do you know how many were actually manufactured in 1994?

My guess is zero. Very Happy
paulhide
P4

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of those registered in 94 on my list were registered in August and September so....... ?
bobbber
P4

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulhide wrote:
Most of those registered in 94 on my list were registered in August and September so....... ?

So... who cares!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: