Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

33 newby needs help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Karu
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: 33 newby needs help Reply with quote

G'day, I decided the other day it was time for another car as I am a car addict and it has been a few months since purchasing my Subaru Impeza (a mystery in itself). So, onto the internet and I had found the car I wanted and the following morning (yesterday)I had driven away in my 1984 Alfa 33TI with all accessories and only 47,400 original kilometres (29340 miles). It was owned by a preachers wife who never liked the offset pedals. Interesting that in 2006 it had its 30,000 km service book filled in at 44,000 km (27,340 miles) and those kilometres were still the same in 2010.
I was told that the powered dipstick was broken and the electric windows don't work. Reading the service records I discovered that $1886 were spent on the 44,000 km service including cambelt and for some strange reason the air conditioning pump was removed. I noticed yesterday after a very hot 70 km drive home (with only rear windows open in the middle of summer) that there was a plug behind the trip computer not connected, but I decided to leave it unplugged. Today I thought what the hell, I can only blow a fuse or two and plugged it in and then I heard the central locking connect; I didn't know it had that, and then the windows worked. I figure that when the air cond was taken out someone forgot to reconnect it. Okay, the drivers window only goes down a third before it clicks, so a question I have is how do I remove the door trim? I have the red master light on warning me about the alternator and oil pressure. I checked the alternator and it is putting out correct voltage and I figure I could not have driven 70 kilometres home and another 30 kilometres around a winding road at high speed today if it wasn't pumping oil through the engine and also I figure that even though Alfa's are renown for their unreliability they would not drop an oil pump so early in life, so to speak. Also the horn and tacho don't work. I love the in-depth owners manual, even explains how to tune it. Although, I must admit, with all the Italian cars I have owned, I always have a difficult time understanding the heater controls. I pulled the cigarette light out and discovered it has never been used, then I knew I had to look at the ashtray and it is also unused. I have every intention of making this wonderful car as good as the day it left the factory, the only difference will be the milage. Thanks, Karu.
Ian M
Green Cloverleaf

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi that sounds like an excellent buy you have there, they dont come about like that very often.
I was also lucky enough to find a nice original low mileage 33.
As for your warning lights if they are the ones in the "Alfa Control" unit in
the centre console then the oil light is probably oil level due to the powered dipstick not working.
The "Alfa Control" unit is notorious for giving false information.
Door card removal is pretty straight forward, first remove the armrest (there is a slide out section
in it to access the screws) then you need to remove the triangular plastic cap where the mirror is
attached (one screw) then I think its just a case of popping it off all round.
All that is assuming you have a series 2 car, being a TI it should be.
Hope this helps... Ian
eagle3
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That all sounds fairly familiar. Mostly just faulty connections I should imagine. You probably need to change the tacho.

1984 is series 1. Maybe there was a series 1 Ti for the Oz market...
paulhide
P4

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Door cards are slightly different on a S1, but should still come off easily. It is possible that the tacho fault is just a poor connection aswell, so check before replacing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: