Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

fuelling problem

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
-=QV=-
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 12:31 pm    Post subject: fuelling problem Reply with quote

Hi,

Bought a 33 type 3 1.7 IE a few weeks ago! The car had a race fuelcap fitted. Looked cool, but turned out to be annoying when having to refuel the car. Every time i want to refuel, i can only do it slowly and a bit of fuel is always pushed out. U can't imagine how irritating this is. Guess pressure builds up inside!

Does anyone have a solution for this problem?

Greetz,
-=QV=-
alexj
Alfasud

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to have to ask..... what is a "race fuelcap"? Surely a "race" part should either;
a) make the car faster, or
b) make the pitstops faster (quicker to fuel the car for example).

I'm wondering which of these tasks this "race fuelcap" performs?

Regarding your question, when dropping the fueltank on my alfasud, I noticed a return pipe (smaller size) that comes back up to the filler, which I would assume is to bleed off pressure as the tank is filled. Is it possible that the person that installed the "race fuelcap" has somehow connected the pipe incorrectly or maybe couldn't connect it at all, so they blocked it off?

You might have to compare with a "normal" 33, to see what has been done wrong.

Regards, Lex
-=QV=-
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lex,

I am sorry for my choice of words, the fuelcap doesn't perform any of the two functions u mentioned. I think it has been placed just for the purpose of looking great. When u take off the cap, there is a valve that will only open when u put the "gaspistol" in. But u are probably right as to that return pipe. I will check it out!

Thanx,
-=QV=-
Gary UK
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sud and 33 tanks are crap the amount of time I have had it shoot out of the filler hole and cover me in petrol (always when I'm wearing a suit) is inbelievable. And the pumps always click off when on full blast so you have to learn to live with it.

Just check thay the breather pipe and non return valve (goes up the side of the filler neck) arn't blocked.
Scott Sander
Alfa 33

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary,

I have lernt to not stand in the firing line. Rolling Eyes

The other nice trick is when the pump keeps clicking off and you still have an empty tank. Evil or Very Mad
Hamish Brown
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find you just have to fill at half speed and not just click it on auto, And I have found if you twist the handle towards the front of the car it seems to stop the air blockage it must get the fuel spinning down the filling pipe, At about a 45deg angle from the ground works for me anyway.Just a crap design.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> Boxer Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: