Alfa Pages Forum Index Alfa Pages
A forum for help with the Alfasud And Alfa 33

Alfa 33 16v vs BMW 323ci ..in the twisties!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daimon7
Alfa Arna

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Near my house theres a small donutshaped square with a 2 lane road going round it. I usually take anyone disrespectfull for my 33 1.7 16V for a spin. I accelarate hard until the car starts understeering gently and pretend i`ve lost it charging over to the second lane near the pavement, then suddenly lift my foot of the gas and oversteer back going sideways round the square.
Drives everybody nuts, but what can i do????? I`m just a lame alfantic bastard.... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

I haven`t yet driven a car than can turn understeer to oversteer that easy.....

P.S. i have low pressure in my standard 185/55R14 which makes the car awfully progressive, I couldn`t get killed with this set up even if i tried Evil or Very Mad
Damn

a 33 1.7 16V + T4 + too many things to list - 1****eu = 350hp and many many people wondering why a 360 modena can`t shake off that weird looking, 17" rimmed, red, 11 year old bucket
Serpent

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Errol wrote:
Its basically the RWD vs FWD. I mean, I have to say, bmws are fantastic handling cars. My dad has an M model. It makes when want to buy a RWD car tommorow. Oh well, at least i know that all the jap fwds stand no chance against me Twisted Evil

I'd like to add too I never encounter drastic understeer problems. Try slow in fast out technic, It might help. or some other way to transfer the weight. Cheers!

I'd like to have a 325 for breakfast around twisties.
Serpent

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Errol wrote:
James Granger wrote:
I've never encountered understeer in the 33 - it has more grip than the 147. To be honest, with the 195 tyres I'd have to be going far too fast to get understeer. It would be catastrophic!

The only real problem I have is a fuel feed problem which cuts fuel supply if I corner too hard. The car basically starts to stutter. Laughing

Oh you'll get understeer if you push hard enough. I was basically on the limits of adhesion and it wasnt that it was understeering really bad its that the tyres were going to give Very Happy

If you had push hard enough you would have thrashes the 323i.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pimp_Dudu wrote:
wow scandinavian flick without using hand brake....pretty damn good....i think like u said at the end of the day the driver has more to do with the drift then the car itself...but i msut admit that a scandinavian flick is very very hard to do with a fwd car, actually with any car....i've been givin it a try a couple of times...but with out the hand brake it really is hard to do...but id say if u start off by practicing only fishtails then u'll soon be able to do the real flick itself...

I attempted it with only foot brake. about 50 degrees left swing followed by 50 degrees right, and pump accelerater to throttle off.
Errol
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you guys should actually race a RWD 323i in the twisties then get back to me... Cool
Falken 195 low profile
K&N Pod filter
Cannon 2inch exhaust from cat-back with 3inch tip.
Pimp_Dudu
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Errol wrote:
Maybe you guys should actually race a RWD 323i in the twisties then get back to me... Cool

I raced with my mates m3 last week...and even though on he won...because he really did have over 400hp's in his engine i was very close behind him...i finally changed into summer tires and the grip really was amazing...whilst he usually accelarated like hell on the straight lines, i always caught up with him on the turns...finally we stopped because he got scared something will happen to his """Precious""" BWM....But i truly believe that if i had some more power in my car (as currently im driving the 1.7ie 8v) that i could somehow catch up to him...the again..he's a more talented driver then me...i jsut had a tendency to go in a turn and jsut keep on pressing gas like a maniac, whilst he was just drifting them, yet he still took it seriously. The latest car i won was a Saab 9000 turbo that couldnt do anything to me...he was ahead of me with almost 20m when in a turn he went a bit into understeer and i had to brake a bit whilst i just kept on going..then after that he had no chance against me...just shows u that even northern cars can't beat the alfa in their own environment=)))
Errol
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm perhaps theres something wrong with my suspension then? Sad
Falken 195 low profile
K&N Pod filter
Cannon 2inch exhaust from cat-back with 3inch tip.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Errol wrote:

or the driver Laughing

just kiddin....
sudman
Alfasud

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alfa vs. BMW 325i..... sounds very familiar to me.

One of my mates back home has an E30 325i BMW.... and we had ENDLESS debates about RWD vs FWD cars, so one day we decided they had to be settled by way of a "spirited" thrash over the Saddle road near Palmerston North, a very windy, fairly rough road up and over the Ruahine ranges.

Anyways... he leads, and gains a reasonable advantage on the couple of straights leading up to the hills. As soon as the road becomes twisty though, he found that the more he was pushing his 325i, it was actually UNDERSTEERING before it swapped to rather violent oversteer.... me in the Sud however, was able to push hard to through corners, only encountering understeer when pushing very hard, and hitting maybe some loose gravel or similar.

At the end I had a considerable lead over him - we are both 21 and have had the cars for more or less the same period of time, know them inside and out, and have roughly the same level of driving experience. Both cars were running on similar spec 185/14s, and both had suspension work, namely lowered/uprated coils and better shocks.

Basically - the Sud was easily the better handling car of the two (me biased.... naaaahhh Razz )

And now.... I have 195/50/15s and the handling is even more fantastic... even though parallel parking is a b*tch! The car corners flatter, steering is sharper... I think the BMW would fare even worse now if we were to race again!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmmoss wrote:
If you changed your 33 for a GTV6 you would have slower acceleration and a lower top speed, not sure if it would beat a 33 through the twisties either!

you would also have a car with considerably more value, if you are into that (not a bad thing when u pour money into an alfa!)

when you say slower acceleration, i would agree below 100km/h.. above that, the 33 is toast, the gtv6 has considerably more torque and ofcourse the famous 4.1:1 final making in gear acceleration farking impressive.. its a car that really belies its numbers. probably because you guys are bastardising it.. it was never a traffic light Grand Prix fighter, but a GT (grand turismo) car, hence the designation GT-V6 (or perhaps it was veloce 6.. anyway)... so acceleration and performance while it was already on the move was the idea, and they did that bloody well.

twisties? hard to call, depends what track.

top speed... last time i looked the gtv6 and the 33 (series 3 QV) had about the same (128mph ~210kmh), if slightly favoring the gtv6.. of course i would bank my money on the 6 more frequently hitting that number on the same bit of road as the 33 for the reasons already sighted.

dont get me wrong, not shitting on the 33, but they are very different cars, in each of their own domain they excel, but i feel the 6 more of a track star than the 33 (IMO anyway)

cheers

joe
Serpent33
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A group of GTV 6 owners visited us a few months back. Most were 3 litres. Sprinted wif one of them and lost 1 car length on 200 meters.

These two are completely different cup of tea. Buy a collectors alfa, drag it a bit once in a while to enjoy the sound and punch, GTV 6, 1750....

But for serious racers, 33, 75, 155, 147...
Serpent33
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Errol wrote:

Hi there. What toe are you running on now? Factory quotes 2 degrees plus minus 2(try 4 degrees toe out) and try running higher pressures on the rear. Never lift off completely around bends unless you are trying to induce something.

We have trunk road racing all the time. Alfas generally dominate(Not on track). We have higher powered cars joining us too. Got beaten by WRXs a few times coz highly overpowered. But none ever cornered faster than a 33 around long sweepers. Leaders of the pack were often 145QV, 2.0l 75,2.5l 155, 147GTA among a neighbouring group, while mine is dominated by 33s.

We are gonna have a showdown next month and end the debate of 33 vs 75 once and for all. Well at least for my region. Both on track and trunk roads. 95 % here speaks for the 75. I reckon it.
Serpent33
Alfa Sprint

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.alfaclub.nl/ikonforum/ikonboard/topic.cgi?forum=6&topic=342

And can anyone translate this???? Seems interesting.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Alfa Pages Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum